Engineer II - Ground Systems
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II - Ground Systems
The Engineering Support Unit at Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a talented and energetic ground system engineer in support of operation of space vehicles and ground systems for commercial, DoD, and NASA customers. This position consists of working on a tightly integrated team in a fast-paced Agile environment to deliver continuous innovation to our customers.
What You'll Do:
- Support design, development, integration and testing of ground systems.
- Exercise core systems engineering skills, contribute to effective producibility of designs over the program lifecycle.
- Develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Support the development of ground segment system engineering architecture/design.
- Understand and implementation solutions that meet requirements and use cases.
- Understand and implement solutions for interfaces that meet defined Interface Control Documents.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers/management/customers.
- Support program gates as defined by customer, such as the System Requirements Review (SRR), Preliminary Design Review (PDR) and Critical Design Review (CDR).
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or related technical field plus 5 or more years related experience is required.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Knowledge of related disciplines in software engineering, hardware engineering, integration, test engineering, quality engineering, configuration/data management.
- Knowledge of systems engineering roles and functions, including operations concept development, requirements management, functional analysis, interface definition and control, synthesis, and/or verification and validation.
- Experience in developing or contributing to System Engineering documentation such as ICDs, requirements, engineering reports or other deliverable items.
- Any experience in mission management, command & control, mission data processing, ground terminal and infrastructure domains preferred.
- Knowledge of and support various test milestone like Test Readiness Review (TRR), Factory or Site Acceptance Test (FAT/SAT); Security milestones like Interim Authority to Test (IATT), Authority to Operate (ATO); Ground sell off milestones like Ground Completion Review (GCR).
- Any experience with any ground or mission integration including operations readiness activities, rehearsals and launch support activities preferred.
- Any experience with Risk Management Framework (RMF) and Information Assurance (IA) in developing ground systems preferred.
- Knowledge of ground hardware such as FEPs, Cryptos along with various platforms or infrastructure to host ground system preferred.
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies and principles preferred.
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Development (CI/CD) principles with security requirements be part of design and development phase as part of practicing DevSecOps on program preferred.
- Experience in cloud development environment preferred.
- Exposure to requirements management tools like DOORS or JAMA preferred.
- Exposure to Model Base Systems Engineering (MBSE) and UML diagrams (Class Diagrams, Sequence of Events Diagrams, and Activity Diagrams) preferred.
- Experience with Atlassian Tools such as Confluence and Jira preferred.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $111,000 - $137,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.