Senior Product Designer at Optera (Greater Boulder Area, CO or Remote)
Who is Optera?
We build software to help the world’s largest companies stop climate change. Our market-leading products provide companies with the tools and insight they need to reduce the environmental impacts of their businesses, supply chains, and products. We are backed by some of the most respected US-based venture capital firms and have a robust client list, including leading Fortune 500 companies such as Dell, Cisco, HPE, Williams-Sonoma, and Target.
What problem are we solving?
In short, Optera is the data solution to stop climate change. Major corporations are the largest source of carbon emissions. Across the globe, companies are responding to pressure to address climate change by setting goals to aggressively reduce emissions by 2050. Our software enables corporate teams to collect, manage, and analyze emissions data across their operations, supply chain, and products, all with the aim of achieving their goals and halting Climate Change.
Why work at Optera?
Our team dedicates our skills, talents, and time to make the world a more sustainable place for future generations. We have a collaborative and dynamic culture where everyone plays a critical role and has room to learn and grow. Balance between work and life is key to our success, and we provide our teammates the flexibility, space, and support to thrive personally and professionally.
Why this opportunity?
We’re looking for a senior product designer to join our design team working on our ESG platform. This is an opportunity to not only design a product that does tangible good in the world, but also to help build the systems and processes that will help us create the best product we can. This is a rare opportunity to help shape the way leading companies from all industries and from across the world take action on Climate Change.
The role and responsibilities
- Take an active role in refining our design processes to help drive constant improvement in our ways of working.
- Contribute to creation, refinement, and maintenance of our Design System in Figma.
- Facilitate design handoff and field any follow-up questions from developers.
- Create, collaborate, and iterate on flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals.
- Facilitate workshops to build cross-team knowledge and consensus.
- Conduct usability testing and present findings.
Some projects you could work on:
- Designing intuitive paths for companies to report and mitigate their carbon emissions.
- Reimagining how carbon reduction action plans are formulated and shared to suppliers.
- Improving task completion for various user types as they navigate the complicated world of carbon accounting and reporting.
- Building tools for sustainability professionals to make a larger impact at their organization and the organizations they influence.
- End-to-end designs for feature improvements, reporting tools, new features, and more.
Your qualities and experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience as an in-house UI/UX/Product Designer on a complex, enterprise or B2B SaaS product.
- Multiple years of experience updating and maintaining style guides and component libraries in Figma.
- Works at a high standard of creativity, curiosity, craft, and quality.
- Mentors and supports junior colleagues with knowledge, humility, and encouragement.
- Leverages prototyping skills to demystify designs for other teams, especially in cases where interactions may be particularly nuanced.
- Highly proficient in Figma and organize and annotate components and features.
- Comfortable leading design for large projects and driving understanding from cross-team colleagues.
Nice to have
- Experience designing data-heavy applications in the Finance, Energy or Sustainability industries.
- Prior experience in a startup environment.
At Optera, some of our values include Respect and Personal Growth. We believe in hiring kind, team-oriented people who are excited to continuously learn and develop their skills in the sustainability industry. We work hard to create an environment at Optera that feels safe, motivating, and challenging. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the points outlined in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You might be exactly who we need.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Optera is committed to creating a diverse environment that is safe and welcoming to all. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We take this very seriously and expect that you do too.
- Unrestricted PTO flexible work schedule
- Every other Friday off
- Health insurance including dental and vision
- Short and Long term Disability Insurance
- 12 weeks maternity/paternity leave (8 weeks paid)
- Wellness budget
- Budget for home/office workstation
- Professional development budget
- 401k with 3% company match and ESG investment options
- Company-wide Bonus program
- Colorado Eco-pass (regional bus pass)
- Team happy hours, hikes/bike rides, and ping-pong
Location: Remote (US and Canada) with optional office in Boulder, Colorado
Base Salary (US): $115,000 - $135,000 plus bonus