Senior Product Designer at Xero
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact
Senior Product Designers at Xero are responsible for designing beautiful, enabling and meaningful experiences that solve genuine customer problems. As a seasoned designer you'll work closely with Product and Engineering on med-large scale projects within a product area of a portfolio.
What you'll do
- Design practice and thinking - Work with the Design Manager, Lead and/or Principal Designer within your portfolio and product area to understand the Product Design vision and direction and ensure consistency and quality of execution within your product design delivery.
- Promote the value of design and collaborative practice across spheres of influence and participation
- Conduct desk research including domain and competitor analysis, interaction/design trends and 'best of' examples
- Analyze relevant considerations such as research insights (when not directly involved),product strategy and roadmaps, technical environment and constraints
- Contribute to the definition and articulation of 'the problem' - challenging assumptions and 'pre-set' thinking around solutions, agreeing the purpose, principles and vision
- Create frameworks (read wireframes low/high-fi, visual frameworks, content/data models etc)which articulate the components, journeys and elements required to solve 'the problem'
- Explore ideal future concepts and identify new interaction solutions and patterns that meet customer needs in a better way
- Develop phased design solutions that bridge the gap between a future state and current patterns, XUI design system and other relevant constraints and considerations
- Create prototypes which tangibly demonstrate a proposed concept or solution
- Collaborate with other designers to test ideas, share challenges, provide feedback and build quality in your practice
- Collaborate with content designers to ensure content within an experience is consistent, 'fit for purpose' and meets customer needs
- Develop detailed interactions and interfaces which are smart and contextually relevant
- Present and communicate design work to a range of different audiences
- Create effective handover materials which clearly communicate how the design should look and behave throughout interaction flows and journeys (e.g. User flow diagrams, design specifications, experience/interaction specifications etc)
- Design research and testing - Contribute to identifying research opportunities, planning and undertaking research and testing relevant to your product area.
- Participate in generative user research to understand customer underlying goals, needs, behaviors and pain points (where necessary)
- Participate in the synthesis of research data, drawing out and articulation of insights
- Conduct user testing in conjunction with the Design Research team
- Relationship management Influence, challenge and support other designers within your product area to deliver high quality product experiences.
- Facilitate cross functional team workshops - to bring everyone together at key points in the process and around key decisions
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure proposed solutions balance user needs, business strategy and technical constraints
- Collaborate with development teams during sprints to provide design QA and problem solve issues as they arise
Success looks like
- You're delivering great product design work
- You're respected by your peers, the design team, and Product leaders
- You're delivering on schedule against agreed deadlines, to the highest quality standards
- You're creating inspiring and innovative solutions to meet customer and business problems.
- You're collaborating and communicating well with your Xero colleagues, especially Design,Product & Development teams
What you'll bring with you (Critical competencies)
- Track record of innovating and delivering high quality design experiences
- Track record of solving customers' problems through design thinking and execution
- Excellent communication skills
What you'll bring with you (Experience)
- Experience building and iterating on a product or experiences based on usage patterns, user feedback and an evolving strategic landscape
- A portfolio that demonstrates high-quality design outcomes, contributing to user experience and business value
- Experience across the entire design process, with mastery in executing elegant interfaces
- 2 - 3 years in a Sr. or Lead Designer role.
- Experience building B2B SaaS Products
Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives.
Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
US employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year
Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at up to 100% pay
Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated.
We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies. Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Please note that we currently require all employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine if any reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely whilst the restriction is in place.