Digital Product Designer at Highwing
You’re an experienced digital product designer with a strong visual sense, who thrives in a collaborative, fast-paced environment with the opportunity for constant learning and iteration. You enjoy the satisfaction that comes with a gorgeous, pixel-perfect design - especially one that’s as functional as it is beautiful. You love feedback and discovery in all aspects of your work, constantly seeking out new ideas, insights, and techniques to improve its quality and usability. You believe that ideas need oxygen, and jump at the opportunity to test your designs in the real world. You relish diving deep into complex, data-oriented design problems, and spending the time to create solutions that are as simple as possible (but no simpler). You recognize that product development is a team sport, and enjoy working closely with a team to turn concepts into reality.
At Highwing, our North Star is reducing the time it takes to complete insurance transactions. We focus on distilling complex processes into simple, beautiful, easy-to-use software that makes work life easier for our users and stakeholders. We organize ourselves to learn as much as we can as fast as we can, and to always be testing our ideas and assumptions in the real world with real users. We’re not dogmatic about our tools and processes, and our team members have a high degree of autonomy to address the challenges at hand as they see fit. We iterate quickly and deliver working software continuously while striving to keep the quality of our user experience high and our codebases tidy. And we have a hell of a lot of fun doing it, together.
YOUR WORK AT HIGHWING
- You’ll work collaboratively with other members of the product development team to investigate problems, interview users, analyze behavior, synthesize feedback, and define product strategy.
- You’ll be responsible for producing high-quality UX and UI design solutions throughout the product lifecycle - ranging from prototypes, wireframes, and flows to the visual design of individual components, layouts, and entire application flows - and testing them with users and stakeholders to validate they meet real needs.
- You’ll steward the practice of design across Highwing, ensuring a beautiful, consistent, and reusable design system is implemented across products and properties.
- You’ll work closely with engineering teams to bring designs to life, iterating as needed to respond to implementation concerns.
- You’ll have a high degree of freedom to pick the tools and approaches that you feel appropriate to address the design and usability problems at hand, and will be responsible for updating and maintaining those efforts over time.
- You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, learning-oriented environment with quick changes and a high degree of uncertainty.
- Alongside our product managers, you’ll advocate on behalf of our users and engage regularly across all internal teams including sales, marketing, product, success, and engineering.
- You’ll give and solicit feedback effectively and frequently, helping shape our organization and team dynamics.
- At least 2 years’ UI/UX design experience for digital products or services and a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience).
- A portfolio of professional UI/UX design work for both web and mobile platforms.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following technologies and software: Sketch, InVision, Visio, HTML, CSS (SCSS), iOS, Android, Design Systems and Adobe Creative Suite.
- A team player but also capable of working independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superb attention to detail, creative and analytics mindset, and excellent copywriting skills.
- Multi-tasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design and/or computer science a plus.
- Experience in working in partnership with a technical role, such as an engineer, developer, data scientist, etc. a plus.
- Outstanding communication skills, including handling executive communication
- Experience in the insurance data vertical, preferably with agency management, policy administration and/or other 3rd party insurtech platforms a plus.
Get to know Highwing.
Commercial insurance has trouble using its data, limiting its ability to compete effectively and grow profitably. Highwing helps insurance move faster and go further. Insurance is built from millions of individualized data points about customers, claims, costs, and more. Without these data points, calculating and transferring risk at scale wouldn't be possible. The problem is that data is highly fragmented. Rather than businesses being buoyed by this data, they are drowning in it because there are no easy, reliable connections between systems. Highwing is the first open data platform for Insurance brokers and carriers. Think of us as the digital nervous system for Insurance. We connect data both inside and outside our platform in order to bring efficiency to the procurement of insurance.
What’s it like to work at Highwing?
Our Crew. Our team is composed of experienced designers, engineers and entrepreneurs. We believe software development is a team sport, and the best products are built by teams with diverse backgrounds who are empowered with a high degree of autonomy. We strive for rapid iteration and continuous improvement in both our products themselves and our approaches to building them. We work at a sustainable pace and know from experience that building a lasting product organization is a marathon, not a sprint.
Our Core Values
- Collaboration. We are playing a team sport. Building a successful enterprise is a team effort. But it is important to distinguish a team dynamic from a family dynamic. Teams thrive on unwavering support, respect and openness – but not unconditional acceptance. Talented jerks have no place on a great team. We consistently challenge each other to improve every day – not only with respect, but with uncommon positivity.
- Autonomy. This is not a little kid’s soccer team. We believe extreme autonomy is valuable in not only maintaining happy, productive people, but also in building impactful, innovative products. So we don’t all swarm to the ball. We hire intelligent, diligent, passionate people who are capable of operating in large, sometimes ambiguous problem spaces with a great deal of freedom and decision-making authority. In exchange, we expect everyone to dig in, learn deeply about the space and take initiative every day.
- Improvement. “Kaizen” is part of our everyday vocabulary. Our technology, our industry and our clients are always in a constant state of flux. We must regularly evolve with them, or we will quickly fall behind. That’s why we are dedicated to practicing “Kaizen,” the Japanese concept of continuous improvement. This means we are, above all, a learning culture. We approach every problem with a beginner’s mind. We look to improve every part of what we do, every day – from our product to our process and beyond. We always strive to give and receive feedback, even when it is difficult. And we allocate time specifically for learning and reflection, so we can avoid our failures and replicate our successes.
- Transparency. Having stake in the business is about more than just equity. We believe the best way to give people stake in the business is to give them full visibility into it. That’s why we share everything transparently, from ongoing client meetings and project statuses to project financials. This allows everyone to see the work they’re doing and understand how that work ladders up, connects and impacts the business. This complete context enables better collaboration, more autonomy and faster improvement.
- Empowerment. We believe in leading from behind. We believe great managers should act as resources, not gatekeepers. We keep organizational hierarchy minimal, and use it only as a way to help people achieve their maximum potential. This semi “flat” culture allows anyone in the organization to not only bring radical ideas to the table, but also to pursue them fully, without bureaucratic barriers in the way.
- Kindness. Challenge directly, care personally. Kindness doesn’t simply mean being nice. And doesn’t mean avoiding constructive conflict. Kindness to us means challenging ideas with positive intent. It means being intentional, honest and generous with the way we treat one another, our partners, our clients and the world. We are hell bent on building an uncommonly positive and forthright culture, because we believe this form of kindness has the power to transform our work, our business and our industry.
Highwing Benefits Overview
Comprehensive insurance: We provide comprehensive employee and family health insurance and ancillary benefits (life insurance, disability, and more).
Learning & development stipend: We believe in continuous improvement (see above) - this includes you as a person and as a professional. That’s why we provide an annual learning and development stipend that you can use however you see fit to further develop as a professional in your area of expertise or the insurance industry as a whole. Attend conferences, read books, take online learning courses, and more!
Time-off to recharge: We have a generous paid time off policy - take what you need when you need it. And when we say time-off - we really mean time-off - don’t check your emails, don’t reply to Slack - relax and recharge.
Remote work: We’ve created an environment that supports remote work. While we love collaborating with everyone in the office at the same time (and the impromptu happy hours and lunch chats that ensue) - we understand that you may sometimes be more productive at home or in a different environment. We’ve built our team meetings and processes to support you to work your best wherever you see fit whenever you see fit.