Senior Data Engineer at Alterra Mountain Company
AUTHENTICITY | PASSION | COMMUNITY | INNOVATION | ADVENTURE
Alterra Mountain Company is a family of 15 iconic year-round destinations, including the world’s largest heli-ski operation, offering the Ikon Pass, the new standard in season passes. The Ikon Pass connects the most iconic mountains across North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Chile, delivering authentic, memorable snow adventures. Alterra Mountain Company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real estate development, food and beverage, retail, and service businesses.
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with destinations across the continent, Alterra Mountain Company is rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company’s family of diverse playgrounds spans six U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton and Sugarbush in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Crystal Mountain in Washington; Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. Also included in the portfolio is Alpine Aerotech, a worldwide helicopter support and maintenance service center in British Columbia, Canada. Alterra Mountain Company honors each destination’s unique character and authenticity and celebrates the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone.
A career with Alterra Mountain Company is more than what you do today; it’s being part of creating a community rooted in the spirit of the mountains, united by a passion for adventure, and celebrating the legendary adventures and enduring memories that mountains bring to everyone.
BESIDES WORKING SOMEWHERE AWESOME, WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free skiing + riding privileges across the family of Alterra Mountain Company resorts for all eligible employees and their dependents. And, discounted rates at non Alterra-owned Ikon Pass destinations.
- Flexible Time Off (FTO) policy for eligible employees to rest, relax and recharge
- Generous discounts on outdoor gear, apparel, rental cars, etc.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, short term & long-term disability insurance, EAP, HSAs, FSAs, and more
- 401(k) plan with generous company match
- Paid parental leave of up to 6 weeks for eligible employees
- Commuter benefits (Denver employees only)
- Brand new Alterra Mountain Company office located in Denver’s RiNo Art District neighborhood
Alterra is looking for a Senior Python 3.6+ developer with database and stored procedure experience comfortable working in a Windows environment now and Linux environment in the future to join our Unified Data Platform team. Bonus for DevOps and cloud experience; must have strong OS and software configuration skills. This role will provide the opportunity to extend our current python based ETL capability to source and move data through our pipelines and develop the TSQL code for transforming the data to the aligned enterprise standard.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Extend, develop and maintain Alterra’s python-based ETL capability.
- Develop monitoring and optimization capability within the ETL capability
- Ensure that ETL jobs are scheduled, monitored and generate detailed logs to support ongoing diagnostics, exception processing, and audit trails for compliance.
- Technical development, testing and deployment of T-SQL ETL pipelines and target data warehouse schemas
- Contribute to the design, implementation, maintenance, enhancement, monitoring and governance of enterprise data repositories
- Develop data processing code with a focus on consistency, reliability, and accuracy
- Profile inbound data and work with subject matter experts to ensure data is conformed to enterprise standards
- Contribute to the technical standards and data dictionaries
- Provide input to and execute development and enforcement of naming conventions for enterprise data assets including data models; database, schema, table, view, index, trigger, stored proc/function names; object level storage container names and paths; file names; and ETL scripts.
- Ensure data ingestion processes catalog and tag arriving data and provide data life cycle and version management across landing, near-term archive, long term cold storage, and data destruction events based on corporate security, compliance, and data retention policies.
- Ensure data pipelines provide appropriate access security, encryption (at rest and in motion) and data masking/stripping based on content and corporate security and compliance guidelines.
- Ensure proper governance of enterprise data assets including data access at the subject and row level, enforcement of data privacy (PII), protection of financial data (PCI), and country specific treatment and regional storage of data.
- Collaborate with teams that manage operational data masters and execute the design and development of data mastering processes.
- Provide input to and execute development of logical and physical enterprise data models; enterprise master data and reference data models; metadata models; and data catalogs. Support the governance and stewarding of master and reference data.
- Support ongoing development and code reviews of data acquisition, data movement, data cleansing, data transformation, data mapping, data quality screens, ETL jobs and schedules, and other ETL and data integration activities.
- Work with IT Ops & Security to manage infrastructure, across on-premises and Azure deployments.
- Ensure stable platforms and processes for software development, deployment, source control, and test/QA.
- Develop CI/CD processes, tooling and methodology in conjunction with IT Ops, QA and development resources.
- Support software upgrades.
- Automate and optimize processes to reduce manual workload.
- Support and collaborate with multiple software team
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or equivalent field, or relevant job experience
- Use of Python to implement ETL services, including sourcing data from databases, cloud services, REST & SOAP APIs, and json/xml/csv/excel data formats;
- Full-stack application development using Python, including libraries such as pyodbc, psycopg2, cx_oracle, sqlite3, a MySQL library, an ORM library (like SQLAlchemy or others), pytest, dateutil, arrow, jsonpickle
- Design and construction of information architectures that enable well-integrated transactional, collaborative and analytical systems.
- SDLC concepts including application lifecycle management, release management, and optionally continuous delivery.
- Enterprise level data modeling at the logical and physical levels for 3NF, star schema, slowly changing data.
- ETL job scheduling tools/techniques, job control, exception handling, logging, and monitoring.
- ETL workflow design including change data capture, transformations, mapping, and data quality screens.
- Various data connectivity techniques including FTP and APIs,
- Version management via a version control system/repository.
- Schema-on-read query paradigm, columnar file formats such as Parquet/AVRO, compression and partitioning techniques.
- Data Architecture, Data Management Services, Data Governance, Data Quality processes and Data Lifecycle.
- Data cataloging and metadata management.
- Master data management using mapping tables and/or commercial MDM tools.
- Cloud-based data platforms such as Azure and AWS; cloud security (accounts, users, groups, roles); logging and monitoring; lambdas and functions; data versioning and life cycle management; infrastructure-as-code.
Additional experiences in the following areas are beneficial:
- PowerBI, MSFT SSRS and other reporting & visualization tools
- Code and infrastructure-as-code testing techniques including unit, integration, system, performance/stress, and acceptance tests.
- Database schema migration techniques.
- Conceptual understanding of advanced analytic and machine learning data processing requirements.
- Serverless and microservice architectures and techniques.
- Organizing data at scale including data lakes, data marts, and data warehouses.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years software and/or data engineering experience
- 3+ years Python full-stack application development; fluent
- 3+ years working with data and databases, preferably MSSQL
- 3+ years working with SQL in a data warehouse environment
- 3+ years building data platforms (architecture, storage, management, monitoring)
- 3+ years developing in a formal SDLC environment, using GitHub, Jira, Confluence or similarly tools
- 2+ years building information architectures
- 2+ years data profiling & data mining
- 1+ years hands-on experience with Azure
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Collaborative and mentoring work style.
- Strong analytic skills and hands-on attention to detail.
- Mechanical tendencies and a curiosity to know how things work and how to make them better.
- Passion for statistics & analytics, process engineering, and information management.
- Loves being hands-on in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, see, hear, and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
Indoor/Outdoor: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to harsh and varying outside weather conditions.
Hazardous Materials/Noise: The noise level in the work place is usually moderate.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of all functions and responsibilities that an employee may be required to perform in this position. Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates reserve the right to modify, increase, decrease, suspend, and or eliminate any of the essential duties and/or the position in its entirety.
This job description is not an express or implied contract, guarantee, promise, or covenant of employment for any set term or duration, or for termination only for cause.
Employment with Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. or any of its affiliates is “at will” meaning either party may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without cause and with or without notice.
This position is located in Colorado, and the work is primarily in Denver, CO and, as such, employment in this position is subject to the labor and employment laws of the state of Colorado.
Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates are equal opportunity employers and maintain drug-free workplaces. All employees and candidates are reminded that Alterra Mtn Co Shared Services Inc. and its affiliates adhere to all applicable labor and employment laws, and State, County, and City-specific labor and employment regulations, where applicable.