Database Engineer at Vertafore
Vertafore is a leading technology company whose innovative software solution are advancing the insurance industry. Our suite of products provides solutions to our customers that help them better manage their business, boost their productivity and efficiencies, and lower costs while strengthening relationships.
Our mission is to move InsurTech forward by putting people at the heart of the industry. We are leading the way with product innovation, technology partnerships, and focusing on customer success.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment inspires us to create, think, and challenge each other in ways that make our solutions and our teams better.
We are headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with offices across the U.S., Canada, and India.
As a SQL Database Engineer (DBE), you will be responsible for database administration, design, development and support applications available systems. You will be responsible for continuously enhancing the automation process of the database and should have an interest in DevOps to help us improve our software engineering practices. You will be required to work closely with multiple stakeholders in order to understand their database needs. After understanding their needs, you will make recommendations and provide self-services offerings that will allow stakeholders to deploy, monitor, and maintain the correct databases for their business.
You will work with fast-paced, skilled team of engineers and developers across multiple high-profile projects. You will also participate in IT projects from inception of the project up and through the daily maintenance phase of a project. You should have good understanding of cloud concepts. If you are a top-notch DBE and looking for the next challenge, apply now!
Core Requirements and Responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Required: Experience with AWS database administration, deployments, ideally RDS SQL Server
- Resolve complex problems by investigating and devising solutions for database operations. May include installations, configuration, tuning and maintenance of database management.
- Hands-on end-to-end Database Development encompassing Database Design and Development working with cross-functional teams.
- Should be able to debug application code written in PL SQL and T SQL for different applications.
- Develop automation frameworks (Infrastructure as code, CI/CD pipelines) and tooling that will be consumed by the entire engineering organization.
- Understand the business priorities and requirements; architect/develop solutions to meet the business need and lead execution.
- Experience with automation, Ansible, Python, Terraform is a plus
- Provides after-hours and weekend support and participate in on-call rotation (24X7)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 3+ years of experience in SQL Server administration and automation/scripting experience.
- 2+ years of AWS cloud experience preferred
- 2+ years of DevOps experience preferred
- Develop new performance monitoring solutions
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery
- Enhance automated functions including monitoring, backing up, recovering, increasing availability, user management, access to controls and logging audits.
- MS SQL Server, Integration Services (SSIS) experience required.
- Strong T-SQL scripting abilities and understanding of complex stored procedures, views, data aggregation/manipulation through table joins/queries, database design, normalization and de-normalization techniques.
- Knowledge of SQL, data warehousing and data management concepts.
- Familiarity with standard tools and platforms that enable continuous delivery such as GitLab, Octopus Deploy, Kubernetes and ServiceNow.
- Experience with multi-tenant systems, preferred
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn technologies quickly
- Possesses good oral and written communication skills.
- Contributes to a positive team environment.
- Enjoys finding and implementing solutions to new challenges.
- Proactively asks questions and learns about our products.
- Effectively multi-tasks and adapts to change.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting abilities.
- Ability to work productively on various projects simultaneously.
Additional Requirements and Details:
· Travel required up to 10% of the time.
· Located and working from an office location.
· Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds.
· Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.).
· Frequent sitting and/or standing.
*We are currently working remotely due to COVID19.