Data Scientist (Contract) at Pinnacol Assurance
***This will be a contract position with the hope to extend and/or convert in the future. We are open to onsite or permanently remote candidates.
Pinnacol Assurance does just one thing, and does it better than anyone: provide caring workers’ compensation protection to Colorado employers and employees. Although employers are required by law to provide Worker’s Comp insurance, we believe our service is making a meaningful impact in worker’s lives across Colorado in their moments of need.
We have big hearts and love big ideas. We’ve been around for over 100 years, but don’t let that fool you. Pinnacol is committed to taking care of Colorado employers and workers in the most innovative of ways! We celebrate continuous improvement, new ideas, compassion, teamwork, integrity and excellence.
With our number one priority to keep everyone safe, along with the heart of Pinnacol’s “culture of caring” to do what is right and not what is easy, we’re currently having our team members work from home. During remote work, we’re still making time for fun! We host virtual painting classes, virtual yoga and Zumba classes, and virtual happy hours!
What you’ll do:
You will work with medical, claims, and policy related data that comes in a variety of formats – structured and unstructured - to generate insights and embed artificial intelligence into applications. As a Data Scientist, you will work with internal teams to:
- Extract and clean data from various sources
- Apply tools and methods to transform or enrich data for an array of possible uses
- Build creative solutions for a variety of problems of interest to our company
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy working closely with a core data science team
- Build collaborative working relationships with both technical and business team members from a variety of teams and backgrounds
- Share knowledge and communicate complex concepts effectively to both technical and non-technical team members and leaders
- Enthusiastically seek out opportunities to grow both your domain and technical knowledge
- Devise creative approaches for leveraging incomplete or noisy data to build intelligent and/or automated solutions for decision-making and analysis
- Create effective technical documentation, charts, graphs, and analyses to support operationalizing and maintenance of solutions and products
- Support team members in the maintenance of systems for production environments and resolution of internal and external customer issues
What you’ll bring to the table:
Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Machine Learning, Computer Science, or other quantitative field. Master’s degree preferred. Relevant work experience (similar kind of work at a similar level of work) may be substituted for a Bachelor’s degree. Completion of a degree is encouraged and supported.
- Strong programming skills. Preferred languages: Python, SQL,Bash
- Experience with common data science libraries (e.g. spaCy, Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, XGBoost, Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras)
- Experience in extracting, cleaning, preparing, and modeling data; command-line scripting, data structures, and algorithms
- Two or more years of experience working with insurance data (e.g. medical records, insurance claims, policy data) preferred
- Familiar with fundamental concepts, practices, and principles of software and API development, version control, containers, and scalable infrastructure/platforms
- Proficiency using cloud environments; preferred experience in Google Cloud Platform
Our employees are extraordinary and committed to making a difference. Here’s some of the ways we show our appreciation.
- Our benefits go beyond the basics. You’ll get to choose from diverse benefit offerings for medical, dental and vision.
- We care about each other. We enjoy a positive, collaborative work environment. We are hard workers and high performers.
- Take a day (or 20!) off. Enjoy 20 paid days off your first full year plus 9 paid holidays.
- Take care of yourself. Sign up for unique wellness programs, including on-site, company-paid fitness facilities and classes
- Get your learning on. We promote a learning culture to help you master your current job and cultivate the skills of the future through a variety of on-site, online, and off-site professional development opportunities.
- Give back and get paid. Through our employee volunteer program, Pinnacol in Action, employees receive paid time off to volunteer with Colorado nonprofits.
- Share in our success. You’ll have the opportunity to earn a quarterly incentive, up to 20 percent of your annual base salary, when your team exceeds their goals and objectives.
When we find the right person, we try to put our best foot forward with an offer that excites you. We consider what you’d like to be paid, the skills and experience you bring, what similar jobs pay in the Denver area and make sure there’s equal pay for equal work among those you’ll be working with. When meeting the requirements, the minimum of what you can expect for this position is (ADD IN BASE MARKET DATA). The actual offer will vary depending on the candidate's skills and competencies.
Want to love your work? Apply today!