Principal Engineer - Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Optical Engineer at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Principal Engineer - Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Optical Engineer
What You'll Do:
- Optimize performance of state-of-the-art optical systems, for space, airborne, and ground applications with the use of Machine Learning / Deep Learning techniques.
- Integrate commercial Machine Learning / Deep Learning optical approaches into traditional systems.
- Validation and Verification (Robustness) analysis of implemented solutions.
- Discuss with senior optics personnel potential implementation, and benefits of AI solutions.
- Present Machine Learning / Deep Learning concepts and solutions to management, and potential customers.
- Mentor more junior engineers.
- Assist in proposal writing and costing activities.
- Help with implementation and integration of solutions into systems.
- Brainstorm solutions to help better fulfill the customer's mission.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active security clearance preferred.
- Expertise in Optics through either/both educational background or work experience.
- Expertise in Machine Learning/ Deep Learning.
- Significant experience with Python and a Deep Learning language (TensorFlow or PyTorch).
- Experience with Matlab and C++ preferred.
- Background in computer vision (e.g. algorithms found in packages like OpenCV and skimage) as well as DL-driven solutions (CNNs, GANs, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with imaging preferred.
- Ability to operate at the system level and interface to all engineering disciplines preferred.
- Experience in reinforcement learning preferred.
- Ability to self-start, good interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work independently and on a team.
- Strong communication and presentation skills and an ability to lead group discussions.
Full-Time On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site full-time. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $157,500 - $198,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.