Software Development Engineer Intern - Summer 2018
Global advertising is undergoing a rapid and monumental transition to the modern age. Hundreds of billions of dollars are moving away from handshakes and backroom deals and onto open, transparent exchanges. As a leader in this transition, The Trade Desk is bringing a level of sophistication to advertising that has only been seen in financial markets.
At The Trade Desk, we believe that opportunities to engage with consumers are not commodities – each one is unique. Because of this, our platform provides advertisers and their agencies an unpreceded level of power and expressiveness to describe and reach their target audience. This means user experience can make or break our business – our users must have an interface that can harness our system’s growing power and present meaningful insight from the petabytes of data streaming through our platform.
We are looking for full-stack Software Engineer Interns with grit, who have a strong passion for code and want to add value to our cutting-edge, lightning fast platforms. You will be working on one of the most expressive and data-rich interfaces in the world, bringing your ideas, design, and engineering skills to create new and exciting self-contained features. We run our team very fast and very lean, which means every engineer has a high degree of ownership and potential impact – and we are looking for rock star interns with the chops to handle it.
Recently named the 7th fastest growing company in the US by Deloitte and one of the top 10 most promising companies in America by Forbes Magazine, The Trade Desk offers a culture of "relaxed intensity" – one that comes from working alongside one of the most talented teams in our industry, and leading in a race that is ours to lose.
- You are interested in working in a full-stack, agile dev environment. We don’t expect you to have experience working within a ton of layers and technologies within an SOA – but that’s what an internship is for! To walk you down our stack, we work with: AngularJS SPA development, MVC-based web architecture, external RESTful APIs, distributed (and in our case, highly scaled) request handling services, no-SQL and relational SQL databases, big data processing (e.g. data bus architecture, Hadoop / MPP data warehouse, etc.), and data visualization (e.g. Tableau). Again, , but we do like to see an eagerness for working in more than one!
- You have a track record of significant, specific, and self-directed contributions to challenging school projects. What we're getting at here is "grit" or "street cred" – although this might be your first rodeo working with a real world dev team, we want to hear about the challenges you’ve faced and overcome along the way within your personal and/or school project work.
- You have project related development experience using a modern, object-oriented language. Memory-managed languages are best -- .e.g. C#, Java, Python, Ruby, etc. We do a lot of development in C#/.NET, but specific experience here is not required.
- You are a Junior (3rd year) pursuing a full-time Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- You have excellent problem-solving skills
- You have a passion for web application development
- You have a solid knowledge of databases (RDMBS, Postgres/MySql, NoSQL, etc.)
- You have a 3.0 GPA or above
- You are local to the Boulder area and have your own housing and transportation
- You are able to work full, 40 hour weeks during Summer 2018
Tips for applicants:
- Elaborate on your project work in your resumes: Whether they’re school projects or personal projects, we want to see the complexity and the value of the projects that you’ve worked on
- Feel free to provide us a link to your GitHub or portfolio!
- But, if you don’t have one yet, it’s not a problem :)
- If you feel like your resume doesn’t speak volumes for your love of code, tell us about what you’re passionate about and why you think you’d be a great fit for this internship through a Cover Letter!
Highlights of our Paid Summer Internship Program
The Trading Academy: You’ll spend your first week or two ramping up alongside a class of fellow interns. You’ll attend The Trade Desk’s Trading Academy, where you’ll learn everything about our industry, business, technology and culture.
Have a REAL Impact: Interns are expected to work just like our full-time TTD employees. That’s why you’ll be assigned a meaningful project to work on during this internship program.
Mentorship Program: Our interns will be partnered with a mentor to help you acclimate to The Trade Desk, meet people around the company and ensure you have a great learning experience.
Performance Management: You’ll get feedback on your work every step of the way, including a mid- and end- of- summer review with your mentor.
Opportunity for Full-Time Hire: If you kick butt during your Summer 2018 internship, there will be opportunities for a full-time job at The Trade Desk upon graduation!
Type: Full Time Summer Internship (40 hrs / 12 weeks)
Location: Boulder, CO
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.