Product Manager, Platform APIs
Guild is hiring for a Product Manager, Platform APIs to drive a data and services strategy that meets the needs of the product and engineering teams that build on our platform.
Guild’s product teams leverage technology to help connect and scale our education marketplace, enabling thousands of students to go to school affordably. Guild is on a journey to centralize how we onboard, share, and process data from our Academic and Employer partners. We are building out the data platform, cloud infrastructure, microservices and APIs that enable our products to scale, while making it faster and easier for engineers to develop new Guild products and features. We call that the platform.
In this role, you’ll craft a shared vision for how our platform needs to evolve to scale our business 100x in the coming years, and you’ll partner with our engineering teams to make that vision a reality. To do that, you’ll need to develop a deep understanding of our products, our data integrations with partners, and the business use cases they enable. You’ll use this knowledge to design platform and web services, as well as internal tools that our engineering teams can leverage across the product suite. In particular, we’re looking for someone who is comfortable discussing data models with engineers one minute and business use cases with the partnerships team the next.
As Product Manager, Platform APIs you will:
- Think big-picture and long-term about how our platform needs to evolve in the coming years.
- Develop a platform roadmap to meet the needs of product and engineering teams -- both internal and external -- that build on our platform.
- Discover and articulate requirements for platform APIs to power our products, and optimize existing platform capabilities.
- Act as the Product Owner for APIs, including authoring, grooming and prioritizing user stories.
- Deliver functionality to the platform, prioritizing those items that drive our business forward.
- Partner in the development process with other Product Managers, architects and engineers to design and build multiple systems and services that support product features.
- Provide end-customer and product perspective for internal developer tools that enable engineers to quickly and easily build on the platform.
- Document and clearly communicate platform decisions that have an immediate impact to internal and external development teams.
- Distill complex technical issues to their essential elements and communicate those elements as necessary to non-technical audiences.
- Develop and execute plans to migrate current products from existing infrastructure to new platform services, while anticipating any risks and client impacts.
In addition to working on the Platform Engineering team, in this role you will collaborate with other Guild teammates including: Kate Rose (Sr. Engineer, Platform), Zach Arlen (Staff Engineer, Platform), Dallas Tester (Engineering Manager, Platform), and Tom Hlavaty (Engineering Manager, Data).
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- Experience as a product manager and/or engineering lead developing and implementing technical products, especially APIs and developer platforms.
- Helped fast-growth businesses transition from a product to a platform architecture.
- An understanding of how service oriented back ends are built and structured.
- A desire to understand the business and internal developer use cases for the platform.
- Demonstrated capability of developing and evangelizing a shared vision across the organization, with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proven ability to manage complex business problems across internal and external stakeholders.
- A track record of working closely and effectively with engineering and partner teams.
- Cloud security interest or experience is optional but a plus.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion. Fast Company recently named Guild as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies and we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis, Bessemer, Redpoint, Salesforce and Workday (among other social impact and VC partners!).
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.