Product Architect at Xero
Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
What you'll do
- You'll be part of an agile, product focused team delivering continuous value to our customers. You'll take a longer term view, with breadth over depth focus on our architecture. You will be embedded within product and technology team(s), engaging with a variety of stakeholders to actively solve complex technical problems.
- Deliver visualised clarity - Create and distribute views of software and system architecture to stakeholders ensuring they are able to understand, evaluate, and reason about the architecture. Continuously monitor visual representations and update them as changes or additions are observed.
- Frame the future - Define the architecture with future flexibility in mind whilst keeping things well bounded. Employ evolutionary architecture that supports guided, incremental change across a defined domain.
- Ensure systemic cohesion - Design architecture that brings clarity at a high level, how significant elements fit together, and identifies the key risks to be mitigated. Use quantitative measures to ensure the fitness of the architecture is aligned to our principles.
- Provide goldilocks governance - Champion a 'trust and verify' approach to governance that teams are operating within established principles & guardrails. Embrace Xero's decentralised approach to decision making and effectively communicate those decisions out.
- Demystify complexity - Decompose the complexity of our domains into a manageable model that describes the boundaries of a system and exposes important details and significant constraints.Synthesise and translate complex ideas into actionable requirements and design solutions.
- Bridge between worlds - Act as an agent of change recognising that no change happens in isolation and must engage and work with a wide range of stakeholders. Use domain and technical knowledge to help facilitate sessions and achieve a desired outcome.
How you'll do it
- You'll employ the following capabilities to deliver desired outcomes for an area within a portfolio with guidance. You will consistently exhibit a well-rounded standard of technical judgement, innovation and execution to tackle open-ended problems. You'll reach successful decisions despite conflicting perspectives, acting thoughtfully when considering the tradeoffs.
- Problem solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
- Interpersonal savvy - Relates well to all kinds of people-up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization. Builds constructive and effective relationships using diplomacy and tact. Can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Business acumen - Knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting the Xero organization. Is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Organisational agility - Knowledgeable about how Xero works and uses that to help get things done both through formal channels and the informal network. Understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures.
- Technical acumen - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment. Is personally committed to and actively works to continuously learn new technologies and technical concepts. Understands that different situations and levels may call for different technical knowledge.
- Communication skills - Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles. Can get messages across that have the desired effect. Encourages direct and tough debate but isn't afraid to end it and move on.
- Dealing with ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change and make decisions without having the total picture. Is comfortable when things are up in the air handling any associated risk and uncertainty.
- About the Payments Billing and Automation team
The Payments Billing and Automation (PBA) team's vision is to make getting paid and making payments simple, seamless and secure for small businesses. Our portfolio manages features that many customers rely on everyday such as bank reconciliation, invoices, bills, payments and data automation. We build products for global scale and continuous innovation.
This role is primarily focused on business data automation. Xero acquired Hubdoc in 2018 to realise our shared vision for Code-Free Accounting. Code-Free Accounting is all about finding ways to suck time out of accounting and bookkeeping work and give it back to accountants, bookkeepers, and small businesses. We want to empower our customers to spend less time on manual, repetitive tasks like data entry and more time on growing their businesses (or doing whatever else they want to do!). We want you to lead a major technology refresh of HubDoc and find innovative ways to deepen the integration with Xero. Be part of a vibrant and global architect community working on some of the biggest challenges in the company.
What you'll bring with you
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing large-scale web/mobile based services.
- Hands-on experience designing distributed, event driven and/or REST based systems as well as enterprise patterns.
- Demonstrated experience with different data stores and the rationale behind using each.
- In-depth knowledge of cloud providers, ideally AWS but also GCP or Azure.
- Working knowledge of agile software development methodologies.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Familiarity with data privacy and compliance requirements.
Benefits & Compensation
- Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a base salary of $140k-$188k, commensurate with experience, plus an annual grant of Xero shares, calculated as a percentage of base salary
- Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
- Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
- Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
- Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
- US employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year
- Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at 100% pay
- Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
In one of our #beautiful offices (add office locations here)
Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero's. Permanent remote Xero's will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, flexible working, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares.
Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.