Head of Communications - Americas
At Xero we are rewiring the small business economy and want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable for small business owners, and more enjoyable too.
About the role
This is a high-profile, business-critical position which requires a unique blend of strong leadership and holistic communication skills to develop, deliver and lead our organizational strategies.
Reporting the President for Xero in the Americas (US & Canada), you'll be responsible for building and driving the execution of Xero America's communications strategy, spanning media relations, thought leadership and community relations. With an understanding that the Corporate Headquarters for Xero is based in the Southern Hemisphere, you'll have established relationships with top-tier business and technology media in the US, using them to create a regular cycle of quality stories. You'll build on your experience in thought leadership and storytelling to craft and deliver consistent messages to the market and workforce that capture Xero's challenger brand. And you'll draw on our extensive network of influencers and executives for fresh, impactful content and campaigns.
What you'll do
- As part of a global team of communications professionals you'll also have a reporting line to the global leader for communications based in Sydney, Australia Develop and lead the execution of an integrated communications strategy for the Americas, collaborating with our heads of marketing and brand, product and partnerships.
- Operate as a business advisor. Build trusted relationships across the Xero leadership team, and serve as a business advisor to the leader of the Americas business and his team.
- Create a compelling, persuasive narrative for Xero in the Americas, and secure high-impact venues for that story to be delivered to strategic audiences, media and influencers.
- Complement the narrative with execution of a sophisticated thought leadership strategy, including real-time, rapid-response social.
- Craft brilliant, differentiating messages and campaigns across brand, product, and partnership news for key business, tech and financial media outlets.
- Build and defend the Xero positioning with our priority audiences in the Americas.
- Manage the relationship and execution strategy for the external PR agency
What you'll bring
- 10+ years of proven leadership in communications/PR through either in-house and/or agency experience predominantly in the US, working on both B2C and B2B brands.
- A track record of identifying, building and delivering communications programs that deliver business impact
- Experience developing communications strategy for brand, product and partnership news; plus issue and crisis management.
- Excellent media relationships with top-tier US journalists in technology/enterprise/business media outlets, with proven experience in landing high-profile stories and mitigating negative stories.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and strong working relationships across the C-suite executive level.
- Strong skills in communication, relationship building, project management, budget management and reporting.
- Experience in agency management.
This role presents an outstanding opportunity to help shape the next phase of Xero's growth. At Xero, we are proud of our collaborative, empowering and inclusive culture that allows creativity to thrive and innovation to flourish.
We're offering a competitive remuneration package and a supportive and fun work environment that encourages you to take ownership for your career and be the best you can be. To peek inside Xero and see what we do check out #dobeautifulwork on twitter or instagram.