Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $4.6B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
As Senior Compliance Counsel at Checkr, you will provide strategic guidance and practical compliance by design support. You will work closely with our R&D teams to understand the compliance and regulatory needs of our customers and support the development of compliant partnerships and integrations. This role sits at the intersection of highly regulated consumer protection laws and a rapidly changing employment landscape. As Senior Compliance Counsel, you will have the opportunity to impact hiring models and the behavior of some of the country’s largest employers--ultimately helping people have a fairer shot at employment.
- Provide ongoing consumer protection and employment law compliance guidance to the business.
- Be responsive and empathetic to customer compliance needs and partner with R&D in compliance research and discovery to design new products and services.
- Assist in program design and implementation of Checkr services that support customers’ Trust & Safety programs.
- Stay up to date on new legislation, industry enforcement, litigation trends, and employment best practices to develop proactive compliance programs aligned with our suite of products.
- Directly contribute to Checkr’s mission to unblock employment barriers for record impacted individuals by building trusted compliance partnerships with our customers and solutioning practical fair chance hiring models.
What you bring:
- JD and a minimum of 7 years’ relevant experience. Employment law and/or in-house experience at a consumer-facing technology company preferred.
- Licensed member of any state bar and in good standing.
- Experience providing compliance guidance and the development of compliance programs or processes.
- You work well cross-functionally. You are driven to find a solution to every problem and demonstrate empathy along the way.
- You’re an educator. You can easily break down complicated laws and regulatory frameworks into understandable and approachable language.
- You’re curious. You have a passion for truly understanding how things work--and the first answer you find is rarely enough.
- You’re direct. You are effective in a fast-paced environment where you give quick, clear, and concise legal advice.
- You have a great sense of humor. Obviously.
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $158,950-$187,000.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.