Director of Regulatory Affairs
Simple Energy is a trusted solution provider enabling utilities to become both more consumer-centric and environmentally sustainable. Our software as a service (“SaaS,”) instant rebate, customer engagement, digital marketing and ecommerce solutions drive energy savings and serve as the foundation the platform for the utility of the future. We work towards a future in which demand side management, distributed energy resource deployment, and the enabled “demand flexibility” become not regulatory requirements but instead central elements of the utilities’ business strategy.
As a certified public benefits corporation, we balance our financial success with our mission to create a more sustainable future, and are looking for team members both motivated about that mission and excited about or core values: ownership, one team, active communication, and “high performance happy.”
As the Director Regulatory Affairs, you will serve as a key member of the market development team, leading the expansion of markets for Simple Energy’s suite of software solutions, broader platform, and energy industry sustainability in selected States. The incumbent will work closely with the Simple Energy sales and strategy squads, and to a lesser extent product and partner success, to engage with thought leadership and implementation partners, including our utility clients, clean energy industry partners, advocates, regulators, and policymakers.
- In-Region Regulatory Affairs and Market Development
- Gather and disseminate internally on-the-ground regulatory and market intelligence from assigned regulatory jurisdictions.
- In partnership with members of the Sales, Partner Success, and Product squads, and using the principles of challenger selling, work with utility clients to both expand the design and ambition of their DSM and DER programs.
- Represent Simple Energy and our partner’s interests with industry partners, trade groups, and environmental advocates.
- Educate and influence regulators and regulatory staff to understand the value of and potential for utility leadership in consumer engagement and the deployment of DSM and DER in pursuit of Simple Energy’s purpose and mission.
- On occasion, write and/or supervise the writing of filings in regulatory dockets, either as a direct intervenor or indirectly through partners.
- Thought Leadership
- Serve as Simple Energy’s internal thought leader developing insights on one or more specific industry transformation topics, such as utility business models, ratemaking, next generation resource planning, performance-based regulation, cybersecurity, etc.
- Develop and deliver presentations for industry events, workshops, and meetings with client partners, the media, regulators, and policymakers.
- Contribute insights on market conditions, policies, and utility ecosystem perspectives to assist in planning and prioritizing for both the market development squad and overall Simple Energy team.
- Other duties as assigned (or self-directed,) such as, but not limited to, colleague mentorship, writing of articles, participation in industry initiatives, etc.
- Experience: Five to ten years working in the energy industry in a commercial, strategy, or regulatory/policy capacity. Experience in software, clean energy, and/or utilities preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in a relevant field; an advanced degree.in law, policy, economics, or business is a plus.
- Communication Skills: Strong verbal, written, and presentation skills, in one-on-one, small group, and large audience settings.
- Interpersonal Skills: Interest in and demonstrated capability in developing constructive and collegial professional relationships with team members, clients, partners, trade groups, regulators and policymakers required.
- Industry Knowledge: Demonstrated understanding of emerging issues in retail and/or distribution level energy industry required. Foundational knowledge of SaaS and software, energy system utilities, energy policy & regulation, and/or demand-side management is a plus.
- Travel Requirements: Approximately 50% travel within assigned states; additional travel may be required on occasion.
- Values: Aligned to Simple Energy’s mission and core values.
- Teamwork: Able to effectively and efficiently work directly with multiple teams given general direction on prioritization and deadlines from management.
- Self-Starter: Proactive, independent thinker prepared to find and deliver new ways to bring value to the firm, and bring new ideas, tools, and work process improvements to our clients, partners, industry associations, and regulators.
- Thought Processes: Analytical and structured thinker, comfortable with using challenger selling approaches to share insights and both receive and provide constructive criticism to peers, management, and partners.
Benefits every Simple Energy employee gets:
- Competitive salary
- An equity stake in Simple Energy
- Getting to live in one of the greatest places in the world – Boulder (we're a little biased)
- Health insurance coverage
- MacBook Air or MacBook Pro — You'll always have the tools you need to get the job done.
- Health reimbursement up to $500 for things like a gym membership, or a Ski Pass, ect.
- Rocky Mountain National Park Annual pass
- Boulder/Denver B-Cycle Annual membership
- Be part of building a great company with an awesome culture: intelligent, passionate, engaged coworkers; dog-friendly office; company outings; free snacks and drinks; and the opportunity to change how millions of people think about and act on saving energy.
Simple Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Right to work in the U.S. must be already established prior to application.
Simple Energy does not work with third party recruiters.