Director of Compliance
Director of Compliance
ShapeShift is the leading non-custodial Digital Asset Platform that allows users to access crypto services, tools, and data. Since 2014, ShapeShift has pioneered a new era of digital finance, earning a place as one of the most beloved and respected brands in a booming and volatile new industry.
Led by industry veteran Erik Voorhees, the company is seeking out the best new team members to further scale the organization and maintain leadership while the phenomenon of decentralized digital finance expands around the globe. As part of this growing team, ShapeShift is looking to hire the role of a Director of Compliance.
As the Director of Compliance your goal will be to ensure we operate in a legal and ethical manner while meeting our business objectives. Therefore, you will ensure that our operations and business transactions follow all relevant legal and internal rules. You will also review employees’ work and provide advice on compliance.
You will take the lead in construction and management of compliance programs related to financial institutions and digital assets. It will involve working with outside parties and vendors to create and streamline compliance functions. It will also require keen awareness of the evolving regulatory environment surrounding digital assets and the initiative to create effective solutions for the business. This is an exempt position based in Denver, CO and will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer.
Your desire to make a real impact on an organization and the world grows by the day. The ideal candidate will be open to daily changes in workflow and protocol (and force us to improve workflows). As a start-up in an evolving space, there are new challenges that require new solutions every day.
GOALS OF POSITION
- Manage an effective AML and Sanctions compliance program
- Enhance and maintain sound internal controls and monitor adherence to them
- Draft and revise company policies
- Proactively audit processes, practices and documents to identify weaknesses
- Evaluate business activities (e.g. investments) to assess compliance risk
- Collaborate with external auditors and HR when needed
- Report on a regular basis to the Chief Legal Officer regarding any compliance issues
- Set plans to manage a crisis or compliance violation
- Educate and train employees on regulations and industry practices
- Address employee concerns or questions on compliance issues
- Keep abreast of internal standards and business goals
- Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Base your decision making process on ethics and integrity
SUCCESS METRICS OF POSITION
- Implement appropriate risk-based AML/KYC policies and procedures
- Effectively manage compliance function
- Demonstrate a team-oriented attitude
- Remain current on legal and regulatory developments in AML/OFAC
- Remain current on industry developments in AML/OFAC
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE ROLE
- Proven experience as a Compliance Officer or Compliance Manager
- Knowledge of legal requirements and controls (e.g. Anti-Money Laundering, or AML)
- Familiarity with industry practices and professional standards
- Excellent communication skills
- Integrity and professional ethics
- Business acumen
- Teamwork skills
- Attention to detail
- BS/BA in law, finance, business administration or a related field
- Demonstrated knowledge or extreme interest in Bitcoin and distributed ledger technology
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle or feel controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
ShapeShift is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.