The candidate will work closely with Sales and Product professionals from IHS Markit’s ENR (Energy and Natural Resources) and/or CMS (Consolidated Markets) business segments and with colleagues from other shared services groups to review, negotiate, draft, and process a variety of commercial agreements (e.g. out-bound data, software, and service licensing agreements; in-bound licensing and distribution agreements; partnership agreements; trial agreements and non-disclosure agreements). The candidate will also provide general legal advice relating to the ENR and/or CMS segment’s product initiatives, strategies, and operations.
The primary responsibilities of this position include functioning as a legal advisor for IHS Markit’s ENR (Energy and Natural Resources) and/or CMS (Consolidated Markets) business segments, and include:
- Reviewing, negotiating, drafting, and processing a variety of in-bound and out-bound commercial contracts with clients; technology, data, and distribution partners; and strategic alliance partners.
- Developing knowledge of multiple areas of the law, including bankruptcy, intellectual property, and privacy, to counsel internal clients on business and legal risks arising at all stages of the customer relationship.
- Analyzing, evaluating, and providing input to product and client initiatives with a view to identifying and highlighting possible business and legal risks to management.
- Developing expertise in ENR and/or CMS products and building strong relationships with internal business clients in IHS Markit offices around the world.
- Drafting and maintaining template agreements.
- Encouraging compliance by IHS Markit Colleagues with applicable policies and procedures (e.g. Sales RAD, insider trading, and compliance).
- Providing training to ENR and/or CMS colleagues and escalating issues on a timely basis where appropriate.
Education and experience
- Qualified lawyer – licensed in one or more states.
- Strong academic credentials with a degree from a university and legal qualification from an accredited law school.
- Legal experience in negotiating and drafting commercial and other business to business technology and information related contracts.
- Proven ability to manage a variety of commercial transactions and special projects simultaneously.
This role is suitable for a lawyer who has +3 years of experience, either as in-house counsel or in private practice. Experience with energy, engineering, technology, or financial companies is a plus.
- Knowledge of data and software licensing, intellectual property, and commercial contract law required.
- Demonstrated experience using verbal and written skills to communicate with senior business leaders, colleagues, and external clients.
Management requirements - IHS Markit offers a departmental structure in which the successful candidate should expect to be involved with multiple aspects of the Legal department’s work.
- Relationship, project management, and influencing skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to anticipate and respond to problems.
- Investigative, analytical, problem-solving, and strategic skills.
- Ability to drive results through others not in their reporting chain and to function in a matrix management environment.
Personal impact - Ability to prioritise and to work to set deadlines within a challenging environment, and to be detail-oriented and self-starting.
Communication - Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
Proven ability to communicate professionally to all levels, create presentations, and prepare management briefs.
Teamwork - Proactive, enthusiastic, self-motivated team player. Strong organizational skills and calm under pressure.