Senior Accountant at ShapeShift
ShapeShift is the leading non-custodial Digital Asset Platform that allows users to access crypto services, tools, and data. Since 2014, ShapeShift has pioneered a new era of digital finance, earning a place as one of the most beloved and respected brands in a booming and volatile new industry.
Led by industry veteran Erik Voorhees, the company is seeking out the best new team members to further scale the organization and maintain leadership while the phenomenon of decentralized digital finance expands around the globe. As part of this growing team, ShapeShift is looking to hire a Senior Accountant.
ShapeShift is seeking a Senior Accountant to manage and lead the company’s financial statement preparation and presentation. In this role, you’ll guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, data-driven, and thrives in ever-changing environments. The Senior Accountant will have the opportunity to be a key player in growing and shaping a world class accounting department at ShapeShift.
This is a full-time, exempt position, based in Denver, Colorado and reports to the Controller.
Goals of Position
- Own Netsuite ERP administration as a subject matter expert
- Responsible for payroll disbursement functions, including maintaining various payroll databases, sending payments in cryptocurrency (mostly Bitcoin), and liaising with HR for benefits payments
- Lead monthly close process and ensure expenses are coded accurately by department and team(s) to facilitate timely budget versus actual spend
- Manage the budget process by working cross functionally with department heads to examine current costs, changes, and any necessary cuts or additions to the budget
- Own the Asset and Liability portion of Balance Sheet from a reconcilement and activity perspective
- Safeguard company assets and acts with the highest diligence and care when paying vendors and employees in both USD and cryptocurrencies
- Provide management with timely and accurate information that is vital to making data-driven decisions
- Assess current accounting operations, offer recommendations for improvement and implement new processes to increase efficiency or accuracy when needed
- Maintain database oversight of negotiated contracts and ensure vendors are paid per contractual obligations and in accordance with schedules, as well as reconciling prepaid and general accrual accounts
- Lead employee trainings on payroll procedures and relevant regulations
- Update payroll system to reflect employee crypto payment elections
- Maintain immaculate records and acts with the highest integrity
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Assist the Controller and CFO with audits and related activity
Success Metrics of Position
- Completion of monthly financial statement reports for all stakeholders by agreed upon deadline
- All vendor bills are accounted for systematically, within budget, and paid on time
- Vendors are paid per invoice terms
- Adherence to proper approvals in accordance with company-wide approval matrix is maintained
- Payroll related changes are logged and paid accordingly
- Assurance that the company is compliant with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws for both US and non-US based employees through liaising with external parties and third-party payroll service providers
- Maintenance of up-to-date Netsuite knowledge with all users being fully trained on navigating the system
- Ability to prepare various journal entries, account reconciliations, and provide general ledger support
- Ability to work with multiple platforms on non-linear and asymmetric projects, and to perform rapid changes in workflow and process, all in a fast-moving startup tech ecosystem
- Proven ability to work effectively across departments
- Effectively communicate with vendors and related parties
- Ability to grow financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Ability to identify internal control weakness and remediations
- Diligence with respects to disbursements and controls
- Advanced knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting best practices, laws, standards, and national/international regulations
- Quick learner, independent, and operate with light management
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or related field
- 8+ years of accounting & analytical experience providing actionable information to senior management
- Experience with Netsuite ERP and general comfort with 3rd party SaaS platforms
- Experience with payroll process, filing required annual, quarterly, and monthly information reports, and familiarity with SaaS payroll platforms
Preferred Education and Experience
- Actively licensed CPA
- Expertise with NetSuite ERP and custom report building
- Benefits and insurance administration
- Prior experience leading team preferred
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP & IFRS
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
- Salary band: $77,000 - $90,000
- 100% Covered Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Time Off
- Parking & Commuter Benefits
- Generous Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Opportunity to be paid in Bitcoin
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle or feel controls. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
ShapeShift is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.