Wowza Media Systems is looking for an innovative and motivated Senior Software Development Engineer in Test for our flagship Wowza Streaming Engine product. Candidates for this position are being considered for work from our Golden, CO office or remote location.
What you will be doing:
Wowza Streaming Engine is a media server, transcoder, and video packager which supports a wide variety of codecs, streaming formats, and video packaging standards. Wowza Streaming Engine is implemented in Java and C/C++ with additional automated tests written in Ruby. Complete test coverage requires a complex build and testing system for Linux, Windows, and OSX. This currently consists of automated and manual tests which have evolved over the years to cover an extensive set of customer use cases and streaming workflows.
The job involves becoming an expert in video technologies and Wowza Streaming Engine, assessing test gaps/coverage, implementing tests to cover the gaps, and providing guidance to the team on how to modernize and streamline our development/release process. The goal is to rapidly take our flagship product from a traditional release model to full CI/CD integration with our Wowza Streaming Cloud service while also improving release time for our traditional customers. New features are constantly being added to Wowza Streaming Engine and thus there will be a constant need for new tool and test development. Many things are difficult to automate and success in this position requires a creative mind and lots of technical research.
What You Will be Doing:
- Provide technical leadership within the team to drive expansion and modernization of automated testing practices
- Bring a passion for reducing toil and improving delivery through automation – shortening release cycle time and enabling a team to release software with greater frequency and confidence
- Plan and execute functional and regression testing in a variety of supported configurations while identifying ways to automate and improve traditionally manual activities
- Actively identify testing coverage gaps and strive to continuously improve the overall testing approach
- Work closely with engineering and product teams to develop, review, and maintain test plans and test cases
- Ensure that quality assurance best practices are consistently implemented during development and testing
- Assist the support team with customer-facing issue analysis and triage
- Work with other Wowza teams such as the Wowza Streaming Cloud team and our Infrastructure as Code team to improve and streamline software delivery
Experience We'd Like You to Have:
- Must have 7+ years experience as a QA Engineer, Sr. QA Engineer, or SDET
- Practical development experience with Java and interpreted programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Python)
- Background with CI/CD methodologies and tool sets (e.g. CircleCI, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Broad-based knowledge of operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and OSX
- In-depth knowledge of one or more Linux distributions
- Comfortable executing tests via the command-line
- Experience developing, maintaining and/or using automation frameworks and tools (e.g. Selenium, page object model)
- Fluency with version control systems, such as Git and GitHub
- Understanding of the Agile development lifecycle and iteration-based development
- Experience with defect tracking systems
- Superior communication and problem-solving skills along with a desire to continue to learn new technologies
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Proven experience working with remote teams
It's a Plus if You Have the Following:
Experience with C/C++
Familiarity with system networking concepts and tools
Understanding of streaming media protocols and technologies (e.g. HLS, MPEG-DASH, WebRTC, RTMP, RTSP)
Knowledge of audio and video coding formats (e.g. AAC, MP3, Opus, Vorbis, H264, HEVC, VP9)
Knowledge of DRM and/or closed caption technologies
Familiarity with FFmpeg and/or other video encoding software
Experience with cloud-based computing platforms, such as Amazon Web Services, Azure, and Google Cloud
Experience testing applications on iOS and Android devices
Familiarity with TestRail, a web-based test management application
Experience with load and performance testing
Who We Are
Wowza Media Systems is a streaming software, cloud services, and hardware provider aimed at powering live streaming for today’s most innovative companies. We frequent Streaming Media’s list of Companies That Matter Most in Online Video and Readers’ Choice Awards, as well as Built in Colorado’s list of Best Medium Workplaces (with a 4.6 rating on Glassdoor).
Cofounders David Stubenvoll and Charlie Good first set out to create cool stuff with like-minded people in 2005. In the fourteen years that have followed, Wowza’s become the gold standard for streaming. One third of content delivery networks (CDNs) have Wowza’s technology built in and more that 24,000 organizations across the globe power their streaming with Wowza.
With adoption rates exploding, use cases proliferating, and video quality increasing, the streaming industry’s influence on everyday life continues to grow. And when it comes to live video, one thing rings true: If you can dream it, the experts at Wowza can help you build it.
Why Work for Wowza
Wowza’s global team is headquartered in the foothills of Colorado, with plenty of parking and where the deer, elk, and buffalo roam. Generous PTO and paid holidays, a healthy work-life-balance, and a 401K that vests immediately are among the many reasons we love working here.
Employees are encouraged to take ownership of their role with limited oversight — and coworkers are happy to help one another out.
Wowza’s team also works to connect the larger community with our passion for tech. From live-streaming graduation ceremonies for local high schools to participating in events like SheTech, employees are able to cultivate the same creative energy that first brought the company to life.
Wowza Media Systems is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all people to thrive in.