Software Engineering Manager
HomeAdvisor is looking for a Software Engineering Manager with coding, architecture, leadership, mentorship, people development and project management responsibilities to take a major role in our product evolution.
- HomeAdvisor.com is the largest online marketplace connecting homeowners to pre-screened home services professionals their area: a homeowner turns to HomeAdvisor every 5 seconds for help. Our software developers impact how our customers experience our brand every day, and are directly responsible for our company's success in the market.
- HomeAdvisor and our sister company, Angie’s List, have combined to create the largest home services marketplace in the nation. Part of ANGI Homeservices (ANGI), we connect millions of homeowners across the globe with home service professionals through our innovative and user-friendly products. ANGI Homeservices operates 10 brands in eight countries, and is headquartered in Golden, CO. We've also been named a Top Workplace by the Denver Post for 6 years running: 2013-2018.
- We are growing and constantly evolving to stay ahead of the game - what technology do you want to work with? What responsibilities do you want? You ask, and we'll let you play.
- A smart, driven individual with a mix of passion for solid application architecture, hands-on coding, and team leadership/mentoring?
- A voice to help continually define best practices and standards with the development leadership team, and champion them to the team?
- An individual with the ability and desire to see the big picture and bend the lens to see what's around the corner?
- An economical mind with an intuition for understanding scope versus value and placing emphasis on the 80/20 rule?
- An architectural mind that values availability and scalability? We use distributed systems to make it all happen. We want people that think that is cool.
- A coach and mentor that wants to help develop team members and help create an awesome team?
If you said yes, then we should talk!
Primary things you'll be responsible for:
- Leading project teams of Java, Front-end, Database, and QA Analysts, including mentoring, architecting, project management, breaking features into stories and follow through.
- Working with cross-functional business partners in Product Development, UX, Design, and Marketing to understand the business need of a feature or project, and setting expectations for delivery of their desired features.
- Triaging problems on the fly including Level 2 application support
- Finding pragmatic solutions to whatever challenges lie in the way
Experience we’ll be seeking:
- 3+ years of experience with team/technical leadership - the ability to coordinate people, build consensus, and take ownership for your solutions.
- 7+ years of overall software development experience, with at least 5 years of Java EE development experience, including familiarity at all levels of the stack
- Experience with Spring/MVC, Struts 2, or other Front Controller Patterns
- Knowledge of SOA, microservices, and/or RESTful design patterns
- Experience handling large volumes of operational data with Oracle, Coherence, ElasticSearch, Redis, and Kafka
- Automated testing at unit and integration levels, using tools such as Junit, mockito, powermock, Spock, Selenium, etc.
- Knowledge of data modeling and SQL optimization within a Oracle environment;
- The ability to help advance design, model solutions: think critically, and contribute in the give-and-take discussions
- No fear of making a mistake (and admitting to it), but with a preference to do things right the first time and the forethought to build contingencies into the solution.
- Communication skills - if you're not comfortable talking to people at all levels in the organization, this isn’t the job for you
If you want to change the way homeowners and service professionals interact, send us your resume today!
If you're interested in a career with us, we'd love to talk. If you have questions about any of our roles, talk with one of our Recruiters by signing up for our next chat: http://www.abouthomeadvisor.com/talk-to-us/