Greater Denver Area
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom’s first prototype takes flight in late 2019.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
Boom’s XB-1 demonstrator aircraft will be the first independently developed supersonic jet and history’s fastest civil aircraft. This build is the critical first step toward the development of mainstream supersonic travel. Powered by three after-burning jet engines, it is planned to reach Mach 2.2 once it enters flight test in 2020.
Boom is looking for an exceptionally talented Software Engineer to lead the development, integration and testing of the flight software for the XB-1. As part of the small team you will own the flight critical software development, telemetry integration, flight simulator software development, and software and hardware in the loop testing. The role requires working closely with the aircraft systems engineers and test pilots.
The Skill Set
- Experience as the technical lead for small teams. This includes acting as the POC for internal and external customers, helping to prioritize development tasks, defining requirements, and mentoring team members
- Significant experience in C++ and exposure to a wide variety of software development standards
- Experience with unit testing frameworks such as Google Test, Catch2, or similar
- Experience with real time operating systems and process scheduling
- Experience with concepts such as process management, signals, sockets,
- Experience with socket programming and network communication including an understanding of the physical, data, network, and transport layers
- Experience with the creation and execution of system test plans
- Experience developing automated test suites and continuous integration/continuous delivery frameworks
- Experience developing and refining system level requirements from formal and informal sourcesExperience with agile development processesExcellent communication skills — able to partner internally with engineers of other disciplines to deliver a cross-discipline product
Nice to Have
- Experience with both hardware and software development strongly desired
- Experience interfacing with I/O hardware including analog, discrete, and serial data
- Experience with Matlab and Simulink
- Experience with DO-178 software development
- Experience with manned experimental aircraft flight testing. Working knowledge of sensors and flight test instrumentation, analog and digital I/O, and data synchronization
- Experience integrating COTS components including navigation, air data, and communication equipment into airframes
- Experience with homebuilt aircraft and experimental aviation a plus
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description