Senior Software Engineer
Sr. Fullstack Software Engineer (JS)
Our video intelligence platform gives visibility into every store, every location, every day, from anywhere. We provide the insight into the most important events so real-time changes can be made. ENVYSION INSIGHTS brings operational, financial and employee metrics together with video and sophisticated analytics to transform them into actionable insights delivered to decision makers across the organization - no matter where they are - via intuitive, easy-to-use dashboards, business intelligence reports and video, all via the cloud.
You will work on a small, agile team developing highly scalable, cloud-based, web and big data applications. This is an opportunity to work with real-time, event driven video players.
Our engineers are actively delivering high quality code, while continuously improving the development practice, product, and team. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and we are able to admit when there’s a better way to do something.
If this sounds like the right role for you, we’d love to hear from you!
Responsibilities and challenges you can expect in this role:
- Actively participate in a fluid and collaborative environment with the ability to influence and change the direction of the product
- Regularly employ your skills in Web-based technologies on the front end and in web services to create compelling software
- Support cross-functional feature teams with UI and API architecture expertise
- Provide technical and professional leadership as a Senior Engineer
- Leverage a variety of backend technologies to deliver live and recorded video to customers in multiple browsers.
- Participate in the end-to-end delivery of software; from design, implementation to deployment automation and maintenance.
- 5+ years experience developing commercial software applications
- 3+ years experience designing and implementing restful APIs
- Strong CSS skills including understanding the limitations and different approaches needed for different browsers
- Ability to create compelling and functional user experiences in SPA-style frameworks, with particular emphasis on React
- Ability to write and maintain REST backend services in NodeJS/Express/MySQL to support internal UI development and external integrations
- Ability to write high quality functional tests that verify the soundness and performance of your code
- Strong grasp of Agile principles and software best practices
- Agility and comfort with changing requirements and frequent customer feedback
Nice to have:
- Experience working with web-based video, including live streaming HLS as well as mpeg-dash and mp4
- Strong SQL skills with ability to diagnose and address performance issues in MySQL
- Experience working with and creating elastic deployment models utilizing AWS, Docker, Consul
- Experience with JVM development in Java/Scala
Soft skills that will help you be successful in the role
- You are a self-starter who enjoys tackling new problems and delivering innovative solutions
- You like working closely with your team members in a fluid agile environment
- You believe in the browser as a client application platform
- You are energized by understanding the customer and delivering solutions
- You understand the concepts of REST and resource-oriented architectures
- You’re comfortable using and modifying relational databases (e.g. MySQL)
- You aren't necessarily a designer, but you have an eye for detail, you can see when pixels are off, and you have a sense for usability
- You know the ins and outs of cross browser client development
- You appreciate maintainable HTML and CSS concerns such as semantic HTML and CSS specificity
- Preferably, you have experience with CSS pre-processors, client build tools, and client testing tools
- You feel a sense of pride in getting a story over the line
- You like to jump in and feel comfortable in working on the whole stack
- You can talk the talk of HTTP interfaces/APIs with service developers