Senior Engineer, Embedded Software (Greater Denver Area, CO or Remote)
| Greater Denver Area | Remote
Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Senior Engineer, Embedded Software will report to the head of Embedded Software Engineering and support the creation of reliable, safety-critical embedded software that controls autonomous vehicle hardware - brakes, steering, actuation, and other functions.
Given your background developing embedded software for commercially-deployed mobile robotics applications, you'll have a major, positive impact on the performance, reliability, and safety of the Outrider System.
This position requires exceptional software engineering skills, understanding of the full development life cycle, attention to detail, and ability to learn in unstructured environments. You will be responsible for helping build and support autonomous vehicle systems that redefine large enterprise supply chains and boast safe, error-free, and effective operational performance.
This role is ideal for someone who wants to be a part of an elite, impactful development unit pushing confined-area, heavy-vehicle autonomy into the mainstream. We're a team of builders that's passionate about start-to-finish, production-oriented development and rapidly introducing our software to the real world of logistics.
Embedded software engineering is a pivotal function for delivering a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on, software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining, enterprise-grade robotics product that combines autonomous vehicle technologies with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate embraces the idea of reducing the carbon footprint of our 'get-it-now' economy and is invigorated by our overarching mission to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle technology.
- Develop/document embedded software modules in C for the various control units on the Outrider autonomous vehicle (AV) through all phases of the development lifecycle: requirements, design, architecture, implementation, unit test, integration, and system test
- Support continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Develop unit tests and automated tests based on requirements to prove functionality
- Update and document software requirements for existing modules
- Perform hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) integration testing on various embedded systems and components
- Provision and support software updates to be released and rolled out to customer sites
- Contribute generally to the growth and success of the Company and the building of a vibrant culture focused on the responsible deployment of zero-emission autonomous vehicle technology
- Bachelor's degree in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field
- High degree of comfort with C and/or C++ with a focus on embedded applications
- Familiarity with Python
- Proficiency in all aspects of the software development life cycle - from requirements development to unit testing
- Background developing software in a Linux environment
- Experience with Git
- Experience creating/documenting software requirements and architecture designs
- Familiarity with functional safety specifications, including ISO 26262 and IEC 61508
- Background in embedded software development for autonomous vehicle or mobile robotics applications
- Master’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field
- Familiarity with ROS
- Familiarity with real-time operating system (RTOS) development
- Experience developing software following a programming standard
- Experience with the CAN bus and/or Ethernet communication
- Experience with wireless communication
- Knowledge and experience with bootloader development
Salary range of $140,000 - 175,000.
For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.