Senior Engineer - Core Platform
Do you dream about creating a more sustainable future? At Uplight, we are motivating energy users and providers to accelerate the clean energy ecosystem. Working with over 75 of the world’s leading electric and gas utilities, Uplight provides an end-to-end customer energy experience. Uplight delivers personalized experiences that customers have now
come to expect–improving satisfaction, increasing revenue, reducing the cost to serve, and contributing to carbon reduction goals. We are in the process of obtaining our B Corp certification, enabling us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, and
We are seeking a Senior Engineer to join our team and help us achieve our ambitious goals for our business and for the planet. Uplight’s Core Platform Engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining the building blocks that power our products and services. The software applications that run on our platform provide energy insights, e-commerce marketplaces, and energy demand management to consumers and energy providers, processing millions of records of data every day. As a member of our Core Platform team, you will be working with a set of team members in supporting and building software on our modern, cloud-based technology stack. You’re a motivated, skilled contributor who is versatile and adaptable, and isn’t afraid to dive into unfamiliar code or systems in order to squash a bug. You have broad and deep knowledge with AWS and concepts across the full-stack of computing. You love to troubleshoot, write high-quality testable code, and practice the craft of software development.
What You’ll Do
- Work as a senior member of our Core Platform Engineering team.
- Collaborate with other software engineers to solve technical challenges in designing,building, and maintaining a set of APIs, both internal and external.
- Contribute heavily to our infrastructure design and reliability engineering.
- Contribute to system improvements to enhance stability, reliability and scalability of our software platform.
- Build tools that are in support of our development community, enabling the rest of the engineering organization to work with both agility and safety while loving the experience of contributing to our products.
What You Bring to Uplight
- Training - either a BS/MS in Computer Science (or related field), graduation from a code boot camp, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 6 years professional experience.
- Ability to provide compassionate technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Growth mindset and experience mentoring junior engineers
- Ability to work across delivery teams to improve quality and visibility into shared projects
- Desire to participate in Engineering-wide planning to reduce cross-team dependencies and increase community knowledge
- Strong troubleshooting skills across the full-stack (front-end clients, APIs, networking, DNS, Linux, containers, databases, distributed systems, etc...)
- Experience supporting existing applications in a production SaaS environment
- Solid experience with scaling highly available systems and managing event-based data platforms.
- Strong experience with the AWS platform
- SRE or DevOps Experience
- Experience with deploying software to production using modern CI/CD tools.
- A value for testing and developing quality software.
- Versatility - you’re comfortable working on a variety of systems in a variety of languages and technologies.
- Strong critical thinking skills and a desire to work with ambiguous challenges.
Technologies We Use
AWS (EC2, RDS, Lambda, ECS)
A certification on the AWS platform
Experience working with best practices on a distributed architecture (distributed tracing, service discovery, observability, service mesh)
Strong experience with Security concepts
Strong experience with Python and/or Scala and Big Data workloads.
If this sounds like you, let’s talk.
What makes working at Uplight amazing:
In addition to all the standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day
We are proud to be over 300+ rebels with an important cause by helping to create a more sustainable planet.
We are committed to the environment, our employees, and our communities
We are focused on career growth by following defined career ladders
Take our work and mission seriously and....we love to laugh!
In addition, we:
Provide a 401k Match
Have an innovative flexible time off policy
Keep you energized with plenty of food and drink