Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Lead Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Software & System Test Engineer will report to the Director of Test Engineering and will be responsible for leading a variety of Software- and System-level tests on the entire Outrider system or its subsystems, which include: Electric Vehicle (EV) platform, AV sensors and compute, robotic trailer-connect arm, and V2I infrastructure. The test environment scope for this role includes Simulation, HIL Bench and AV Trucks.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a very talented, self-starting leader the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead a small team of Software System Test Engineers through the design, implementation and execution of a variety of Functional, Safety, Behavior and Performance tests to verify and validate the performance and safety characteristics of the entire system or subsystems, including Software, Robotic Arm, EV truck and Autonomous Vehicle sensor suite.
- Lead the assessment and justification for the design direction of simulation platform, HIL benches and real-world test environments and communicate to facilities and tool/simulation development teams.
- Prioritize, adapt and maintain the backlog of tasks for the team to ensure the team's test plans, schedules and priorities meet the company and program milestones.
- Serve as the primary interface between the team and its peers, leaders and customers, providing continuous outward communication and soliciting open feedback for how the team can improve.
- Mentor and coach less senior team members, and scope their work in ways to grow their skills and craft their career path.
- Effectively communicate the test progress, product performance and issues found to the larger Engineering organization.
- Influence the Systems and Software teams to implement the appropriate fixes and product improvements.
- Drive and advise the Engineering teams on how to approach and implement strong, testable Software and System requirements based on learnings from testing.
- Embody a "Safety Steward" mindset - hold all persons accountable for safety on test trucks, equipment and area, and proactively propose safety improvements.
- Work with the team to understand and prioritize test exceptions and help drive toward a product that meets all customer, business, and technical expectations.
- Domestic travel as needed to perform field work, training, or customer support (up to 20%)
- 5 or more years' experience testing robotic systems, autonomous vehicles, or other automotive products in simulation, bench and/or real-world environments.
- Experience leading a small team of engineers
- Proven capability in problem-solving complex systems, software or robotics
- Experience with the software development life cycle, modern software/hardware/system testing methods, and continuous integration
- BS or MS in Engineering or Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sterling references
- Experience with autonomous trucks or other automated distribution yard products
- Experience in ROS
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Comfortable with Linux and command-line interface