Lead Software Engineer
Wowza Media Systems is seeking a highly skilled Lead Software Engineer. We are growing and expanding our software development team and are looking for someone great to help us drive the streaming revolution. Wowza is looking for an individual who can help us enable streaming video and audio to any device, anywhere!
As a Lead Software Engineer for Wowza Streaming Engine, you will join a core team building the software that powers over 25% of worldwide live streaming. Through your contributions, you will be empowering a community of builders creating professional-grade streaming solutions. As a member of the team, you will bring expertise and focus to the engineering of transcoding capabilities within Wowza Streaming Engine.
What you will do:
- Create - Work in a collaborative environment with Product and Engineering to deliver new features and capabilities on a foundational platform. Build quality in and architect maintainable and extensible solutions that perform at scale.
- Innovate - Wowza is a leader in the streaming industry and we are constantly evolving our products to meet customer demands, influencing and keeping pace with emerging standards in the space. Your ideas are valued, you can impact the product roadmap, and you might even file patents along the way.
- Improve - Help define and refine engineering best practices, actively participate in design and code reviews, and make the code better with every commit.
- Learn - Our product does a lot, enabling a wide variety of streaming workflows for our customers. The product is complex, the domain is deep, and the industry is everchanging. There is always something new to learn, something we hope you will embrace.
- Support - Our customers rely on our product to be rock solid. As an Engineering team, we stand ready to back our Support organization in helping our customers through their toughest challenges and capturing ways to make our products better.
- Lead - Serve as a subject matter expert in video transcoding, providing technical leadership within the team, the company, and the industry.
Experience we'd love for you to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field and 8+ years of experience in software development
- Development experience in C, C++, and/or Java
- Strong software development foundation in algorithms, multithreaded applications, data structures, and OO Design
- Experience optimizing low-level, compute-intensive code
- Experience with related tooling and frameworks such as CUDA and OpenCL
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of streaming media from both server and client sides
- Extensive practical knowledge with one or more of the following:
- Streaming protocols such as - RTMP, RTSP, HLS, MPEG-DASH, WebRTC
- Media codecs such as - H.26x, VPx, AAC, AC-3, MP3
- Media containers such as - MP4, CMAF, MPEG-TS
- Unit test development and writing testable code
- Familiarity with build automation, Git branching, and continuous integration
- Experience creating and documenting public REST APIs and SDKs
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.) and associated tools (Jira, TargetProcess, Rally)
- Experience with containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $150,000 - $175,000
Wowza offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following:
Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance available 1st day of employment
Generous Paid Time Off
401(k) with strong company match
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
Employer Paid Basic Life Insurance and AD&D
Voluntary Life Insurance (Employee/Spouse/Child)
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Training & Development
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The base salary range represents the anticipated low and high end of our salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as candidate's qualifications, skills, and competencies. The salary is one component of our total compensation package for employees.
Who We Are:
Wowza Media Systems is a Colorado-based, globally known leader providing video and media streaming software solutions to customers for whom video is mission critical but not a core competency. Wowza's software enables its customers to deliver high fidelity video streams from (m)any sources to (m)any destinations, with low latency, reliable at large scale. Wowza's solutions are implemented across video platforms, gaming, fitness, auction and commerce, education and government applications. The Company is backed by private equity firm Clearhaven Partners.
Why Work for Wowza:
Wowza's team works to connect the larger community with our passion for tech. From live-streaming graduation ceremonies for local high schools to participating in events like SheTech, employees are able to cultivate the same creative energy that first brought the company to life. Employees are encouraged to take ownership of their role with limited oversight - and coworkers are happy to help one another out.
Wowza Media Systems is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all people to thrive in.