Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Lead Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Reliability Test Engineer will report to the Director of Test Engineering and will be responsible for architecting and implementing a new Reliability test program from the ground-up to accelerate learnings in Reliability, Durability, Serviceability and more, on the entire Outrider system or its subsystems, which include: Electric Vehicle (EV) platform, AV sensors and compute, robotic trailer-connect arm, and V2I infrastructure.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a very talented, self-starting leader the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Architect a full-system, scalable Reliability Test program from the ground-up, with focus on Reliability, Durability and Serviceability of the Outrider system.
- Lead the design and setup of the test site layout and supporting infrastructure with Facilities team.
- Launch the Reliability Test program at Outrider's local test site, with full ownership over a small team of Reliability Test Engineers and AV Technicians.
- Generate, organize and lead system tests to verify and validate the reliability performance and safety characteristics of the entire system.
- Lead the triage and root-cause diagnosis of issues found during test.
- Prioritize, adapt and maintain the backlog of tasks for the team to ensure the team's test plans, schedules and priorities meet the company and program milestones.
- Serve as the primary interface between the team and its peers, leaders and customers, providing continuous outward communication and soliciting open feedback for how the team can improve.
- Mentor and coach less senior team members, and scope their work in ways to grow their skills and craft their career path.
- Effectively communicate the test progress, product performance and issues found to the larger Engineering organization.
- Influence the Systems and Software teams to implement the appropriate fixes and product improvements.
- Advise the Engineering teams on how to approach Serviceability and Durability based on learnings from the Reliability Test program.
- Embody a "Safety Steward" mindset - hold all persons accountable for safety on test trucks, equipment and area, and proactively propose safety improvements.
- Work with the team to understand and prioritize test exceptions and help drive toward a product that meets all customer, business, and technical expectations.
- Domestic travel as needed to perform field work, training, or customer support (up to 20%)
- 5 or more years' experience testing Reliability or Durability of robotic systems, autonomous vehicles, or automotive products
- Experience leading a small team of test technicians and engineers
- Proven capability in problem-solving complex systems, software or robotics
- Experience with the software development life cycle, modern software/hardware/system testing methods, and continuous integration
- BS or MS in Engineering or Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Sterling references
- Experience with autonomous trucks or other automated distribution yard products
- Experience in ROS
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Comfortable with Linux and command-line interface