Lab Director - Technical Consultant at DispatchHealth
Lab Director - Technical Consultant
DispatchHealth has redefined health care delivery to offer on-demand acute care and advanced medical care for people of all ages in the comfort of their own home. DispatchHealth's emergency medicine and internal medicine-trained medical teams are equipped with all the tools necessary to treat common to complex injuries and illnesses. DispatchHealth works closely with payors, providers, health systems and others to deliver care in the home to reduce unnecessary emergency room visits, hospital stays and readmissions. Acute care medical teams are available seven days a week, evenings and holidays, and can be requested via app, online or a quick phone call. DispatchHealth is partnered with most major insurance companies. For more information, visit DispatchHealth.com.
Vision: To create the most advanced and complete in-home care model in the world.
DispatchHealth is recruiting a Lab Director - Technical Consultant, who is responsible for the technical and scientific oversight of moderately-complex laboratory systems in all markets across the United States. The Lab Director - Technical Consultant will coordinate with market-level Medical Directors to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations and adherence to the highest clinical, quality and safety standards. The Lab Director - Technical Consultant directs, establishes and plans policies and procedures for DispatchHealth’s laboratory services. This position works closely with clinical staff, operations and management teams and the People Services department to ensure consistent clinical and safety standards and financial controls. The Lab Director – Technical Consultant writes and updates procedures and manuals as needed and reviews them annually to ensure that employees have current information needed to perform tests and procedures. This position reports to the Vice President of Clinical Operations.
- Ensure appropriate selection of test methodology for the clinical use the test results
- Verify that test procedures are performed and establish the laboratories’ test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test and test system
- Enroll and participate in a CMS-approved proficiency testing program
- Establish a quality control program appropriate for the testing performed
- Establish the parameters for acceptable levels of analytic performance
- Ensure that necessary levels are maintained throughout the entire testing process
- Resolve technical problems and assure that remedial actions are taken and that test systems are functioning properly
- Identify training needs and assure that every individual performing testing receives regular training and education
- Evaluate and document testing personnel competency at two times a year during the employee’s first year and then one a year thereafter.
- Provide consultation as needed regarding the appropriateness of testing ordered and the interpretation of test results.
- Review current Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for accuracy. Revise or write SOPs as necessary.
- Reviews Quality Control (QC) data, calibration data, maintenance logs, and temperature logs on a regular basis.
- Develop Quality Assurance Plan and ensure adherence to the plan by all personnel.
- Monitor and review Proficiency Testing (PT) data in a timely manner. Report any testing suspensions to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
- Ensures all Proficiency Testing (PT) discrepancies/unsatisfactory performances insufficiencies are rectified with careful, documented Corrective Action(s) and the proper documentation filed.
- Oversee the hiring of qualified personnel.
- Ensure performance of Laboratory testing modalities and Lab Interface System (LIS). Work with vendors to ensure service agreements are current and adhered to by vendor. Work with IT Department to ensure LIS and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) interface issues are resolved.
- Develop communication processes for resulting, reporting, and building relationships with other departments, and outside vendors via written, phone, and in-person meetings.
- Maintain Point of Care testing program.
- Maintain regulatory compliance with all pertinent regulatory authority bodies.
- Maintain and submit all documentation as required by regulatory agencies and responds to all deficiencies and requests by said agencies.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of all regulations governing laboratory operations and reports
- Maintain all documents needed for Federal/State inspections; take all steps necessary to ensure successful inspections; lead timely remedial action if necessary
- Ensure that all laboratories maintain certification in all testing areas and necessary licenses
- Execute safety and infection control procedures to ensure patient and staff safety
- Direct and coach staff and support ongoing training in laboratory operations
- Anticipate needs and changes in regulations
- Ensure financial controls and meet budget goals
- Lead performance improvement activities in coordination with other departments
- Prepare regular reports about laboratory activities and associated revenue and clinical trends
- Develop efficient tools and standards to efficiently scale operations across multi-state geography
- Ensure that all operations adhere to HIPAA regulations in collaboration with DispatchHealth’s Security Officer
- Ensure world-class customer service for patients and providers
- Perform ancillary duties as needed
- State lab license as applicable
- Bachelor’s degree in a laboratory science or medical technology field from an accredited program.
- Master’s degree in laboratory science preferred
- At least five years of experience leading hospital or medical practice laboratory operations, preferring experience with distributed lab operations
- MT (ASCP) or equivalent for certification as a general laboratory supervisor under C.L.I.A. 1967.
- Demonstrated leadership and significant management experience in laboratory medicine
- Detailed knowledge of laboratory CQI and Quality Management programs
- Strong management skills leading teams
- P&L management experience
- Strong clinical and regulatory knowledge
- Outstanding planning and organization skills
- Knowledge of current and future health care delivery and service challenges, trends, performance improvement, and practices that result in superior patient care
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and takes innovative approach to operations and services
- Passion for healthcare
- Ability to travel (25% of time)
- Career growth and investment
- Be part of a company that is innovative, exciting and progressive
- Competitive health and wellness benefits for full-time employees
- Flexible schedule
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job; however, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.