Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
The Industrial Engineer will report to the Director of Site Planning and Policy and serve as a key liaison between the customer's transportation/operations teams and Outrider deployment teams. The Industrial Engineer will be responsible for:
1) analyzing the layouts and process flows of distribution yards at large logistics/trucking hubs;
2) collecting data through observations, measurements, interviews and the customer's software systems;
3) presenting findings to customer and Outrider teams;
4) assisting in the preparation of plans for customers that outline the deployment specifications for the Outrider System;
5) using customer site data and Outrider System design information to prepare computer simulations (using off-the-shelf simulation software) of Outrider's autonomous vehicle system in a real-world implementation.
This will require a basic understanding of logistics software tools, such as warehouse management systems (WMS) or yard management systems (YMS), and proficiency in simulation, modeling, and process optimization tools.
The ideal candidate will be a great communicator with a high level of organization, enthusiasm, and a relentless attention to detail. The position will manage many competing priorities, with a diverse set of tasks and objectives.
The ideal candidate will also embrace our goal to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle systems and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new category of robotic automation for Fortune 500 customers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Collect operational process data and site/property measurement data from customers using interviews, observations, tools, and logs from enterprise systems
- Conduct time-series studies and maintain a deep understanding of customers’ trucking operations
- Design and develop models and computer simulations of customer trucking operations using off-the-shelf simulation software
- Analyze and interpret simulation results and present findings both internally and to customers
- Work with sales, product, and operations teams to perform product usability/feasibility studies -- using formal operations research techniques -- to inform models, simulations, customer proposals, and deployment plans
- Propose new solutions regarding the optimal use of customers' logistics facility resources -- such as equipment, materials, and personnel -- to increase productivity and improve throughput
- Contribute to ROI analyses developed by the sales and finance teams to support customer proposals
- Design customer yard layouts using AutoCAD
- Select and work with vendors to complete projects, as needed
- Develop and integrate targeted solutions with customers and operations management
- Continually re-evaluate work process for productivity improvements
- Travel to customer sites for up to a week at a time, as needed
- BS in operations research, supply chain management, logistics, industrial engineering, or related field
- 7+ years of experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with simulation (e.g., FlexSim, Anylogic, ARENA) and optimization (e.g., Gurobi, CPLEX, AIMMS) tools strongly preferred
- Experience with modeling techniques and approaches, such as operations/movement modeling; probabilistic modeling and Monte-Carlo simulations; agent-based, discrete event and system dynamics modeling
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Knowledge of labor management systemsFamiliarity with logistics software such as yard management systems (YMS) and warehouse management systems (WMS)
- Ease with communicating at the technical and senior executive level
- Ability to balance multiple competing priorities and projects and a track record of timely delivery of work product
- Ability to construct yard layouts using AutoCAD (or similar drafting tool)