Industrial Engineer at Outrider
Azevtec (Autonomous, Zero-Emission Vehicle Technologies) is automating 'first-mile' trucking. We simplify how large enterprises ship goods—our robotic systems automate repetitive vehicle movement and manual tasks in the world’s busiest freight-shipping hubs to enhance operational performance, reduce costs, and improve safety.
Azevtec is a rapidly growing, Series-A company founded to drive the adoption of sustainable transportation and deploy autonomous vehicles responsibly.
The Industrial Engineer is a key customer advocate that reports to the Sr. Director of Autonomous Vehicle Planning and Strategy and is responsible for 1) analyzing customer distribution center shipping yard sites for automation opportunities, 2) collecting data through observations, interviews and customer warehouse, yard and/or terminal management software systems (WMS/YMS/TOS), 3) presenting findings to the planning department, and 4) assisting in the construction of written autonomous operations strategy documents for customers. The Industrial Engineer is also responsible for using the collected customer data and process flows in parallel with Azevtec proposed autonomous operations to develop a simulation model that would enable Azevtec to gain deeper insights and optimize our proposed system and processes prior to real-world implementation. This individual would be required to have a general understanding of WMS and YMS systems and be proficient in a broad base of simulation, modeling and process optimization tools.
We’re searching for a great communicator with a high level of organization, enthusiasm, and a relentless attention to detail. This position will juggle many competing priorities, with a diverse set of tasks and objectives.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to accelerate the adoption of zero-emission, self-driving vehicle systems and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for Fortune 500 customers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct time studies, business profile analyses and maintain a deep understanding of customers’ businesses
- Optimize Fortune 500 customer distribution center yard operations using identified systems, tools and processes
- Perform data collection and prepare simulation model specifications
- Design and develop accurate simulation models of customer yard movements
- Analyze and interpret simulation results and present internally and to customers
- Work with product teams to perform quick turnaround feasibility studies utilizing modeling and simulation scenarios
- Perform pre-sales support activities as needed
- Develop and maintain Best Practices, Standards and Labor Management Tools
- Recommend optimum utilization of facilities, equipment, materials, and personnel to improve efficiency of customer operations
- Conduct studies of the Azevtec product/service and its requirements, using mathematical methods such as operations research
- Review functional statements, organizational charts, and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of employees and work units and identify opportunities
- Propose new yard automation solutions to increase productivity and improve throughput
- Support Return on Investment (ROI) analyses with the Sales/Commercial team to justify customer capital proposals
- Design and create yard layouts for distribution center facilities using AutoCAD
- Select and work with outside vendors to complete capital projects as needed
- Develop and integrate targeted solutions with customers and operations management
- Create workflow plans
- Continually re-evaluate work process for productivity improvements
- Bachelor of Science in a field that emphasizes simulation or modeling, supply chain management, logistics, Industrial Engineering or related field
- 3-5 years of experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with a broad base of simulation, modeling or optimization tools (one or more of the following):
- Simulation: FlexSim, Anylogic, ARENA etc.
- Optimization: Gurobi, CPLEX, AIMMS etc.
- Or experience as follows:
- Required: C++, Java & etc.
- Preferred experience: Labview or Matlab / Simulink & etc.
- Experience in core scientific modeling activities (one or more of the following):
- operations/movement modeling
- algorithmic development
- probabilistic modeling and Monte-Carlo simulation
- agent-based, discrete event and system dynamics modeling
- Ability to be detail oriented, with strong analytical and organizational skills, who is also highly results oriented and proactive
- Knowledge of Labor Management Systems
- Technical understanding of Yard Management Systems/Warehouse Management Systems is required to be successful in this role
- Ability to effectively communicate with business partners both local and remote including senior management/stakeholders
- Excellent time management which results in an ability to handle multiple competing priorities and a strong customer focus
- Ability to construct yard layouts using AutoCAD or similar drafting tool
- Travel to customer sites for up to a week at a time, as needed