Director of Engineering
ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market in the U.S. We make it superbly easy for businesspeople to find and order great food for meetings and events, and we help our catering partners grow their business. We’re backed by $320 million in venture funding and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. Our mission is to power the world’s catering, and we’ll make it happen – even more surely if you come help us.
In this role you will make a tremendous impact on both our organization and our technical platform. You will lead the technical aspects of one or more areas of our broad, evolving product platform. At the start, you’ll be responsible for our small, talented, and passionate Denver engineering team and help take them to the next level. Then you'll recruit more of the best managers and engineers in Denver onto your team. You’ll lead, grow, and mentor these folks as leaders and senior technologists. This position reports into and works directly with the VP of Engineering.
ezCater values technology as a differentiator and a key component of our success. It powers everything we do. We push ourselves every day to better the codebase, improve performance, and deliver an amazing customer experience. Check out this CBS Boston article for a glimpse into our culture.
What you’ll do:
- Maintain the vitality and vibrancy of our Denver team as you actively build up the team over the coming years
- Help to establish the engineering culture and best practices in our Denver office to reflect our collaborative, fast-moving, and autonomous environment
- Coach managers and individual contributors and grow them as leaders and technologists
- Work closely with product management and other partners to ensure the development team is delivering high-value outputs
- Deliver ongoing improvements to the current platform while also contributing to our next-generation worldwide platform
- Energetically represent the Denver development team in the Technology department and across ezCater
- Managed ten or more people, at least one of them a manager
- Built commercial web applications, ideally using a services oriented architecture, ideally with e-commerce or SaaS experience
- Enough experience with a cloud-based contemporary web stack that you’re technically credible
- Experience with and commitment to agile methodologies
- The ability to learn quickly and make data-informed decisions
- The ability and inclination to travel to Boston about four times a year
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An eagerness and willingness to give and receive feedback, because we all love learning from each other
What you’ll get from us:
Importantly, you’ll get a tremendous amount of authority and autonomy. You’ll own your outcomes and see measurable results for your efforts. With ezCater’s unmatched transparency and trust, you’ll have open access to the data that drives our decisions. ezUniversity sessions will provide plenty of opportunities to expand your mind.
At the same time, you’ll get sane working hours and a huge amount of flexibility around work/life balance. Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and here’s what else you’ll get: Market salary, stock options you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, subsidized RTD pass, a great office in the heart of Denver, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies), and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.