Database Engineer 5 at Bluestaq (Colorado Springs, CO)
Position: Database Engineer 5
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: In compliance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the salary range for this role is $181,116 - $234,264. Final compensation for this role will be determined by various factors such as a candidate’s relevant work experience, skills, certifications, and geographic location.
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado. This position is not remote.
Additional Compensation: This position is eligible for an end-of-year bonus.
Employment Benefits: Bluestaq offers a wide range of competitive benefits to include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Paid Leave, and 401k. For more information regarding Bluestaq benefits, please visit https://www.bluestaq.com/bennies.
Bluestaq starts with our people.
Are you ready for the best job you've ever had?
At Bluestaq, we've rapidly built a culture around ownership, trust, community, and innovation. Bluestaq is dedicated to cultivating a growth environment where our team feels valued, works with a purpose of mission, is personally rewarded, and is professionally challenged.
Bluestaq is an emerging technology company founded in 2018 to streamline global operations using cutting-edge enterprise software and mission analytics. Bluestaq develops and transforms its enterprise systems and secures disparate data to solve our customers' most critical challenges. Today, Bluestaq primarily provides the U.S. Department of Defense and the nation's intelligence community with advanced software systems. Our name, Bluestaq, originates from "blue" a military term for friendly forces, and "staq" referring to a software stack.
Let’s talk about the accolades our team has racked up in just four years! Bluestaq was recognized as an Inc. Magazine 2021 Best Workplaces, a 2021 Colorado Inno on Fire Company, and a 2020 Colorado Company to Watch. Bluestaq was honored by the Colorado Technology Association as the 2019 Emerging Tech Company of the Year and named Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce and EDC 2019 New Company of the Year. For the third consecutive year, Bluestaq landed on the Colorado Springs Gazette Best Workplaces in Colorado Springs (2019 – 2021) and Built In’s Best Places to Work Lists: Best Places to Work in Colorado, Best Small Companies to Work for in Colorado, and Best Paying Companies in Colorado (2020 – 2022). Our team is award winning and ahhhmazing!
Looking for amazing quality of life? In 2019, Colorado Springs scored a “Perfect 10” for “desirability” by US News & World Report.
Why join Bluestaq in Colorado Springs?
- Cost of living - below the national average
- Lifestyle Amenities – coffee shops, craft breweries, boutiques, locally-owned restaurants
- Nature – more than 100 parks and ample outdoor sporting opportunities
- Weather – Colorado Springs boasts over 300 days of sunshine a year
- Laid back atmosphere – an accessible alternative to the faced-paced Denver lifestyle
Bluestaq Database Engineer would be a fantastic opportunity for you if you like end-to-end ownership of the build, testing, and implementation of data warehousing solutions focused on data movement in and out of our enterprise data management platform. As a highly experienced, creative Bluestaq Database Engineer, you will be charged with helping our team develop large-scale data architectures across multiple database technologies (SQL and NoSQL) and designs to support some of the country's most critical national security challenges. You are a thought leader and subject matter expert who is ready to use your database experience to focus data movement through our software platforms.
What you will be doing:
- Relational database design, data modeling, DDL, performance tuning, and extensive work with SQL
- Work with data/row level security features such as Postgres RLS.
- Become familiar with and work on other NoSQL datastore technologies such as MongoDB, Amazon RDS, Amazon EMR, Amazon Athena
- Design and implement large-scale ingest systems in a big data environment.
- Develop custom solutions/code to ingest and exploit new and existing data sources.
- Work with the Bluestaq development team to improve application performance.
- Provide ETL experience simultaneously with enterprise search capabilities to unlock big data hurdles.
- Monitor and troubleshoot performance issues in the data pipelines
Basic Qualifications and Skills:
- 16+ years of software development or database experience with a Bachelor of Science degree.
- Extensive experience/knowledge of Relational databases, database design/data modeling, and SQL.
- Experience/knowledge of MongoDB.
- Proactively identifies issues and proposes solutions with corresponding context/data.
- 5+ years of experience with and managing data across relational SQL databases such as Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server.
- Familiarity and/or experience with NoSQL databases such Cassandra, HDFS, Redis, and Elasticsearch.
- 3+ years of experience working in a Linux environment.
- Knowledge of security and best practices.
- Scope work on complex projects involving multiple engineers and ensures the team’s delivery.
- Stay up to date with industry best practices and trends to apply to future software architectures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Display a strong sense of ownership for projects.
- As a senior engineer on the team facilitates mentorship and healthy collaboration across the program.
Required Education: Relocation may be available for this position.
Clearance Requirement: This position requires the ability to obtain a TS/SCI Clearance. To be eligible for a clearance, US Citizenship is required, and an employee must agree to participate in a background screen and credit check.
Proof of Vaccination: This position requires all new hires to present proof of vaccination upon their hire date. Please contact Human Resources, at [email protected], if you need to discuss our medical or religious exemption process.
Relocation: This position does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Bluestaq is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by state or local law.
Bluestaq will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities and employees whose work requirements interfere with a religious belief unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to Bluestaq or a direct threat. Employees needing such accommodation are instructed to contact Human Resources immediately at [email protected]