Aerodynamics Team Leader at Boom Supersonic
Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:30 p.m. (MST) on Wednesday, January 22, 2020
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
Boom is seeking a uniquely qualified aerodynamics leader to join our quickly growing, aerospace startup. The Aerodynamics Team Leader will join a driven, world-class team of individuals building the first independently-developed supersonic jets and history’s fastest civil aircraft: the XB-1 Supersonic Demonstrator and the “Overture” production airliner.
An ideal candidate has a track record of building and leading world class technical teams through solving hard problems, is considered a one of a kind project manager by their peers and seeks out opportunities to partner across disciplines in order to achieve the best overall result for the product. You have strong prior experience in multiple aero areas, a strong grasp of flow physics (not just math), and the ability to visualize and explain what goes on in real flows.
Employees at this level solve the most complex problems, manage work and provide oversight in engineering areas of specialization, with wide latitude for unreviewed work. This person is envisioned to be an experienced aero engineer that has experience leading a team of 5+ engineers.
- Required BS in Aerospace or Aeronautical engineering
- Minimum of 12 years professional aerospace experience
- Experience leading aero teams and managing aero projects
- Ability to filter reams of ambiguous data, summarize the key findings, and propose logical and efficient next steps
- Significant experience in aero design for vehicles that have actually flown
- Experience with aircraft in the Mach 0.8+ realm - supersonic highly desired
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral (prepared and informal)Strong interpersonal skills - ability to be inserted into an existing team that is struggling and have them welcome his or her support
- Starts with yes attitude, but also a strong level of skepticism and realism that prevents a natural level of naivete that often exists when digging into a new domain
- Proven track record of demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and manage conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment
- MS in Aerospace or Aeronautical engineering
- Formal leadership training strongly preferred. Ex: Coaching, Technical Leadership & Strategic Leadership, etc.
- Ability to push the state of the art forward in tooling, e.g., in increasing automation and/or moving higher fidelity methods earlier in the design process
- Experience with wind tunnel testing and/or flight test
- Experience calibrating CFD for supersonic aero (flight test or wind tunnel)Some level of experience with the following strongly desired: Aircraft configuration sizing, layout, and design, Loads, Performance, S&C, Wind tunnel/flight testing, Inlets and propulsion aero
- Pilot's license and/or Aircraft Mechanic (A&P) license is a strong plus
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description