About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by late summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
Boom is seeking a uniquely qualified aerodynamics CFD leader to join our quickly growing aerospace startup. The Aerodynamicist Specialist will join a driven, world-class team building the first independently-developed supersonic jets and history’s fastest civil aircraft.
An ideal candidate has a track record of building and leading world class technical teams through solving hard problems, is highly-regarded as a project manager by their peers, and seeks out opportunities to partner across disciplines to achieve the best overall results. They have strong prior experience in CFD, a strong grasp of flow physics (not just math), and the ability to share their intuition of real flows with others.
Employees at this level solve the most complex problems, manage work and provide oversight in engineering areas of specialization, with wide latitude for unreviewed work. This person will have a deep technical background in addition to experience leading large teams of aerodynamics engineers.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum of 15 years professional aerospace experience
- Experience leading teams of 10-30 individuals
- Contributing to multi-disciplinary design of vehicles that have progressed through flight test
- Experience with wind tunnel testing and/or flight test
- Experience validating CFD for supersonic aero (flight test or wind tunnel)
- Experience in the creation and/or execution of methods and processes required for multi-disciplinary optimization of clean sheet aircraft
- Experience overseeing Performance, Stability and Control, Low and High Speed Aerodynamics disciplines
- Experience with aircraft in the Mach 0.8+ realm - supersonic highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and manage conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment
- “Starts with yes” attitude, but also a strong level of skepticism and realism when approaching a new domain
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral (prepared and informal)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- MS or higher in Aerospace engineering
- Ability to bring high fidelity tools early in the design process
- Some level of experience with the following strongly desired: Aircraft configuration sizing, layout, and design, loads, performance, stability and control, wind tunnel / flight testing, inlet and propulsion aero
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description