Aerodynamics Performance Manager at Boom Supersonic
Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:02 p.m. (MST) on Sunday, March 8, 2020
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
We seek an experienced and skilled Aerodynamic Engineer to join a small, fast moving team developing a new supersonic commercial aircraft.
Role responsibilities include all aspects of aircraft performance calculations. As part of the Aerodynamics group, you will work with flight controls, structures, and CAD experts at Boom.
- Perform takeoff, landing, and enroute performance analysis.
- Develop a documentation process for performance data.
- Develop, code, and test enhancements to aircraft sizing, mission analysis, and post-processing tools.
- Develop a comprehensive toolset for generating climbout profile utilizing noise abatement techniques in support of community noise evaluations.
- Provide aircraft performance support to Sales, Marketing, and Finance.
- Assess proposed regulations and changes to aircraft certification that could impact aircraft performance and aircraft performance documents or databases.
- Review organizational process and workflow regularly for continuous improvement.
- Assist in resolution of questions pertaining to aircraft performance data, databases and documents.
- A minimum of 12 years of technical experience with 3 years of management experience
- Experience with the performance analysis of Part 25 aircraft
- Experience managing an aerodynamics performance team.
- Experience with the calculation of takeoff and landing performance of Part 25 aircraft including generation of inputs for community noise
- A strong fundamental understanding of aerodynamics
- Script generation (i.e. Matlab, linux-shell, Fortran/C++)
- Excellent communication skills
- Eagerness to work with others
- Passion for aircraft and for Boom's mission
It would be great if you had
- Experience with supersonic aircraft sizing and mission analysis
- Experience with the NASA FLOPS program
- Python programming experience
- FAR Part 23 or 25 certification experience
Degrees and Certifications
- An undergraduate degree in Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering is required
- A master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering is a plus
- Pilot's license is a plus
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description