About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by late summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
We are seeking a skilled Aerodynamics Engineer to join a small, fast moving team developing a new supersonic commercial aircraft. Role responsibilities include aspects of external aerodynamics, execution and analysis of CFD results, wind tunnel testing, and airplane design. Technical expertise is expected in at least one of these areas. As part of the Aerodynamics group at Boom, you would work with engineers from propulsion, structures, and flight sciences to enhance the Overture design. The role entails ownership of analysis and design projects, and requires the ability to independently develop processes and investigate results. These abilities will be grounded in a deep grasp of fundamental flow physics and underlying numerics. The successful candidate will also be proficient in automating procedures through scripting to maximize their team’s productivity. The ideal candidate will have applied their skills to real aerodynamics problems, and will be looking to tackle their next career challenge in the supersonic realm.
- Between 5 and 10 years in industry
- Experience with viscous, compressible CFD solvers
- Experience generating structured and unstructured CFD grids
- Experience scripting (Python, Matlab, Linux-shell, etc.)
- A strong grasp of flow physics - able to visualize and explain what goes on in real flows
- A strong grasp of underlying numerics - understands the how and why of CFD codes
- Appreciation for working within a high-performance team
- Driven by curiosity and passion for flight
It would be great if you have:
- Experience with analysis and design of supersonic aircraft
- Experience with optimization algorithms
- Experience with parameterized airplane geometry and CAD
- Experience with the OVERFLOW, FUN3D, and CFD++ solvers
- Experience with FAR Part 23 and 25 certification
- Experience with low-speed and high-speed wind tunnel testing
- An advanced degree in Aerospace Engineering
- First-hand experience with flight
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description