Web Designer - Contract
newmedia is looking for a talented, user-minded Designer to create successful experiences and intelligent visual design. The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean, user-friendly design, possess strong user interface design skills and should be able to take high-level requirements, distill them, and turn them into well thought out user interactions, user scenarios/flows, and beautiful, functional designs.
**This is a contract position**
We're located in beautiful and sunny downtown Denver, Colorado—one of technology’s new hotspots in the United States. Denver is a quality-of-life destination: People strive to live here for the myriad ways they may pursue a healthy lifestyle, which includes abundant outdoor activities (we average 300 sunny days a year). Denver also boasts great housing options, low unemployment, and decent commute times.
newmedia is notable for its 20-year track record of providing full-service website design and development that is smart, user-friendly, and cutting-edge. We are a leader in a competitive industry with two start-ups—RiotLabs and DRUD—integrated within our mother company. Our work environment is friendly but hard working; we have the stability of our longtime successes with a fun, start-up vibe. What makes newmedia special is its PEOPLE.
We strive for and earn a significant portion of the $23 billion-a-year market for our services and we attract significant interest from both new clients and investors. As much as we have accomplished, it's a drop in the bucket compared to what we have planned. To get there—and to continue our pace of success and growth—we need to have the best and the smartest designers, developers and program managers joining our team.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide clients through the life of projects and lead through execution.
- Strategize, plan and execute all design stages from initial client kickoff to final hand-off to development and beyond.
- Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design problems.
- Enforce and execute upon best practices and patterns around user experience in web and app platforms.
- Creation of well thought-out artifacts and deliverables within the user centered design process.
- Present and defend designs, ideas and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders.
- Guide a client through conceptual process and decisions of non-UI related deliverables (logo, branding, marketing materials, advertising, etc.)
- Take ownership over creative concepting and execution for all required materials in life of project and/or account.
- Become an expert in our clients’ businesses in order to ensure sound and strategic design decisions, regardless of medium.
- Act as a mentor to Junior Developer.
- Bachelor of Arts or Fine Arts preferred.
- 1-3 years of web design experience in an agency or equivalent setting.
- Strong proficiency in design tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch or other visual or interaction design tools.
- Strong grasp of HTML, CSS, SASS/SCSS, and responsive design best practices.
- Sound understanding of the user-centered design process and artifacts of said process.
- Demonstrate and walk through design skills with a strong portfolio of well-thought out work.
- Must be able to interact and take lead in the discovery, definition and design portion of projects, by guiding and directing clients and peers.
- Empathy for users and clients to ensure successful designs.
- Basic understanding of CMS limitations and abstractions (Drupal and WordPress).
- Good creative problem solving skills.
- Attention to details.
- Strong communication skills a must.
- Open, collaborative environment in LoDo, steps away from Union Station and Coors Field.
- As a contractor, you design your own schedule!