Staff Data Engineer Systems & Infrastructure
Guild is hiring a Staff Data Engineer Systems & Infrastructure to help us build our next-generation data infrastructure which will power the next few waves of massive growth while also managing, maintaining and operating our existing systems.
We are looking for a seasoned infrastructure engineer who is effectively able to work up, down and across our technical organization and systems. We need someone who asks “why,” and is not afraid to “wade in ambiguity” to help drive technical decision-making for Guild. We are looking for someone who will roll up their sleeves, provide technical expertise and counsel, and will deliver outstanding technical solutions to our hardest data problems. This role will require a focus on both how we design, build and manage complex systems and also the thoughtful delivery of new complex systems.
As a Staff Data Engineer, you will:
- Design, build and manage new data pipelines, ETL, data ingestion, data APIs, and data warehouses which are effective, understandable, testable, and long term operable.
- Building APIs that can be used internally or externally to serve crucial information across systems, partners, and teams.
- Works across teams to foster a culture of architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling.
- Guide the team in anticipation of future needs and help make design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes.
- Seek to understand and meet our business needs by helping to define then deliver our data roadmap.
- Help create new product abilities by changing technical strategy or overcoming constraints.
- Role model engineering best practices and provide technical directions.
- Ensure we are ready for what may come tomorrow.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- A long history of being a teammate people trust and love working with.
- 8 + years of engineering experience with a relevant degree or experience.
- Worked at the confluence of agile Application Development, Data Governance, and Micro-service Development.
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs--data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Deep expertise with many technologies like Redshift, Redis, Java, Scala, Spark, Kafka, Python, S3, and PostgreSQL.
- Expertise with technologies like cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure, DigitalOcean), database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, RabbitMQ, MQ Series, Kafka) and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- A commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
We also just became the latest female-led company to hit a $1billion valuation and the only B-corp with those qualifications. Our Series D round was led by Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners chairman and former CEO of AMEX, and joined by Emerson Collective, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.