Sr. Data Engineer (Storage & ETL)
Guild, the leading education benefits platform and one of Denver's fastest growing startups, is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees by connecting employers' workforces with our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions that focus on serving the needs of working adults. And, our team of retention coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through graduation. In order to accelerate our growth and achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students, we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Redpoint Ventures (among other social impact and VC partners!).
As a Senior Data Engineer at Guild, you’ll work across teams to help us build the next generation of data products and storage solutions. You’ll work with world class data engineers to design and build the scalable, robust, and high-quality data infrastructure and data pipelines needed to support growth of our education network and SaaS platform. Ultimately, you’ll help change the landscape for how we think about delivering education products to learners across the country by building a digital solution that connects students, employers, and universities to deliver education at an affordable price to students.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Designing, building, and expanding Guild’s backend data infrastructure, including data pipelines, ETL, data ingestion, data APIs, and data warehouses
- Translating complex business requirements into usable, scalable data models and systems; influencing and prioritizing tasks with business or technical departments
- Working closely with the business intelligence and analytics teams to design scalable storage solutions that allow for quick, reliable access to disparate datasets
- Mentoring other engineers and analysts on the team and sharing technical knowledge to enable others to be more effective at their jobs
In this role, you’ll expand your expertise by:
- Evolving our data products now and in the future by contributing to our backend data architecture
- Identifying ideas to improve system performance and impact availability
- Working in an agile team environment with a high performing engineering team
- Taking on a cross-functional role that will expose you to the ins and outs of Guild
- Receiving feedback through our learning-focused, twice annual Structured Growth Conversations
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Choosing and leveraging the latest technologies in data engineering to automate data integration and loading, such as, Amazon Redshift, Redis, Java, Scala, Spark, Kafka, Python, S3 and PostgreSQL
- Leveraging your experience to design solutions that will be the backbone of a highly scalable, reusable, backend data infrastructure
- Ensuring our data is clean, accurate, and secure
- Facilitating root cause analysis of system issues to minimize impact and future occurrences
- Thriving in fast-paced and scaling environment
You’ll join a team:
- From diverse backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to politicians, to mental health professionals (and more!)
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- 5+ years of experience building data pipelines, custom ETL processes, and designing data models and data warehouses as well as experience in SQL and NoSQL database management systems
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, or Scala
- Expertise in database technologies such as Redshift, PostgreSQL, Redis, and working with large and disparate datasets
- Experience in large scale data processing using traditional and distributed systems like Hadoop, Spark, Dataflow, and Airflow
- Experience deploying solutions to cloud technology services such as Amazon Web Services
- A proven ability to thrive in changing environments by having a fast, flexible, cooperative work style
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and stakeholders.
- Experience with BI tools such as Looker, Tableau, Kibana, Chart.io, etc.
- Passion for higher education and our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly and effectively adapting your expertise
- A drive to work hard and plan for how you can refresh/recharge while working in a startup
- Something else? Wonderful, we’re curious to learn more about you!