Senior Solutions Architect (Data Science) at The Trade Desk
The Trade Desk is a global technology company with a mission to create a better, more open Internet for everyone through principled, intelligent advertising.
Handling over 600 billion queries per day (more than 100X the query volume of search globally), our platform operates at unprecedented scale. We have also built something even stronger and more valuable: an award-winning culture based on trust, empathy, collaboration, and ownership. By working together across typical dividing lines, we are better as a team than any of us could be apart.
Do you have a passion for solving hard problems at scale? Are you eager to join a trust-based, globally-connected team, where your contributions will make a meaningful difference?
Come and see why Fortune Magazine consistently ranks The Trade Desk among best small-medium sized workplaces globally.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for an experienced Data Science Solutions Architect to join our Solutions Architecture team.
- You have a sustained track record of making significant, self-directed, and end-to-end contributions to large machine learning and data focused projects. You think beyond just the task at hand to deeply understand the 'why' behind what you are doing.
- You are a broadly skilled data scientist with experience embedding models into production systems, working across a variety of technologies and data sources. At our scale, many off-the-shelf modeling techniques (open source and enterprise) simply don't work. You are able to work from first principles and intuition to develop solutions and adapt them to a unique environment.
- You can code. You are hands-on to comfortably leverage your mathematical background to design, engineer, and deploy systems. You have a passion for technology and problem solving, with the ability to rapidly grasp and learn new technical subjects and be able to explain them credibly to others. You can confidently consult clients in the context of highly technical custom solutions, and contribute to true transformative thinking for top tier clients
- You have a product-focused mindset. You have the passion and ability to contribute to the process of discovering what will delight our clients and push forward one of the world’s largest and most influential industries toward a vision of openness, transparency, and evidence-based decision-making.
- You work with confidence and without ego. Our team members have deep knowledge and exercise a high degree of leadership in their daily work. You have strongly-held, defensible ideas, and advocate for what you believe is right. You are also adept at identifying and evaluating trade-offs, willing to be proven wrong, and quick to walk through fire to support your fellow teammates.
- You value, seek out, and foster diversity. We are a global team from many diverse backgrounds, with different experiences and perspectives. To complement this team, you will welcome ideas that are different from your own and be skilled at finding and building from common ground.
- You are a creative thinker, not bound by "the way things have always been done". What you know is less important than how well you learn and innovate. We don't need people who know all the answers; we need people who can invent the answers no one has thought of yet, to the questions yet to be asked.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
The Data Science Solutions Architect will design and build custom solutions that are powered primarily by applied mathematics and related advanced computation for our clients.
- You will participate in all aspects of designing, mathematics researching, building, and delivering custom data science and data-focused products for our clients. You will work in wildly different areas of data science applications to include but not limited to game theory, numerical optimization, NLP, statistical and probabilistic modeling, linear/nonlinear programming optimization, partial differential equations, deep learning, and experimental causality
- You will manage projects of varying complexity and duration where you will communicate advanced mathematical concepts (and related implications) to both technical and non-technical clients, plan tasks, set timelines, manage and update stakeholders, resolve blockers and drive the process forward
- You will monitor and manage custom solutions, debug application related issues causing solution outage or degradation, and implement necessary fixes.
- You will help in building up our team through a combination of mentoring, technical leadership, making others better by raising the bar.
- You will leverage background and experience to develop best practices that are scalable, repeatable and sharing these with the global Solutions Architect team
- You will use business acumen to credibly translate technical concepts to business value, to quickly understand the clients' needs, to build trust and confidence with clients, and to influence non-technical stakeholders
- You will use pragmatic process acumen to focus on maximizing throughput in the fewest steps possible, while maintaining quality, in a controlled manner
- You will build strong cross functional partnerships – This role will interact with clients, business, engineering and teams, representing many different types of personalities and opinions
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- BA/BS in Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related field
- Strong track record of design and development of products or applications that are driven by applied mathematics and general numerical computing techniques with engineering fundamentals
- 5+ years of experience in writing software in a variety of programming languages (for example, Java, Scala, Python, R, etc.), and on developing backends for cloud serverless deployments
- Deep understanding and direct use of big data platforms (Spark, Hadoop, etc.), and data engineering technologies
- Experience of developing big-data applications in AWS (preferred) or GCP/Azure using cloud services like EMR
- Demonstrable creative thinking and problem-solving abilities, a passion for problem solving and learning new technologies quickly
- Able to comfortably use mathematical thinking to derive innovative solutions to client problems, and understand mathematical notation
- Experience working with client, product, or engineering teams in a pre-sales role or consultative experience is a plus
- Experience working with REST APIs is a plus
- Experience with a formal project management method is a plus
Our Compensation and Benefits (for Colorado residents only)• Base Compensation Range: $84,550 - $207,585
In accordance with Colorado law, the range provided is The Trade Desk’s reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role. The actual amount may be higher or lower, based on non-discriminatory factors such as experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. The Trade Desk also offers a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.