Guild is hiring a Lead Data Engineer for our Data Infrastructure team to help us build our next-generation data infrastructure which will power the next few waves of massive growth while also managing, maintaining, and operating our existing systems.
We are looking for a seasoned data/infrastructure engineer who will lead a small team to grow our data operations capabilities. We need someone who asks “why,” and is not afraid to “wade in ambiguity” to help drive technical decision-making for Guild. We are looking for someone who will roll up their sleeves, provide technical expertise and counsel, and will deliver outstanding technical solutions to our hardest data problems. You will be tasked with growing and mentoring a team of creative engineers, who will deliver our hardest data problems. This role will require a focus on both - how we design, build, and manage complex systems and also the thoughtful delivery of new complex systems. You will succeed through your effective and thoughtful, mission drive, values-centered leadership.
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will:
- Lead a team to design, build, and manage new data pipelines, ETL, data ingestion, data APIs, and data warehouses which are effective, understandable, testable, and long term operable.
- Build a platform for data operations, ensuring we are ready for upcoming data processing and ML needs with a future-forward consideration.
- Work across teams to foster a culture of architecture that allows for iterative, autonomous development, and future scaling.
- Lead the team in anticipation of future needs and help make design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes.
- Seek to understand and meet our business needs by helping to define then deliver our data roadmap.
- Help create new product abilities by changing technical strategy or overcoming constraints.
- Role model engineering best practices and provide technical directions.
- Ensure we are ready for what may come tomorrow.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- A long history of being a teammate people trust and love working with.
- A demonstrated track record of leading small teams to solve hard, important problems.
- The ability to communicate well in person, on paper, and in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers and other engineers.
- 8 + years of engineering experience with a relevant degree or experience.
- Worked at the confluence of agile Systems Development, Data Governance, and Micro-service Development.
- Experience creating consistent data models across many distributed domains in a business
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and data systems--data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Deep expertise with many technologies like Snowflake, Redshift, Java, Scala, Spark, Python, S3, and PostgreSQL.
- Expertise with technologies like cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure, DigitalOcean), database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, RabbitMQ, MQ Series, Kafka) and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- A commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
We also just became the latest female-led company to hit a $1billion valuation and the only B-corp with those qualifications. Our Series D round was led by Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners chairman and former CEO of AMEX, and joined by Emerson Collective, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.