Build Automation Engineer
About IHS Markit
IHS Markit harnesses deep sources of information, analytics and expertise to forge solutions for the industries and markets that drive global economies. Our company partners with clients in business, finance and government to provide the unrivaled insights and perspectives that lead to well-informed, confident decisions. We call this The New Intelligence. IHS Markit serves more than 50,000 key customers in more than 140 countries, including 80 percent of the Fortune Global 500. We help decision makers apply higher-level thinking to daily tasks and strategic issues across a host of industries and disciplines including energy, finance, automotive, engineering, technology, maritime and trade, aerospace and defense, chemical, and economics and country risk.
Headquartered in London, IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) is committed to sustainable, profitable growth.
About Markit Digital: Build and Deployment Tools Team
At Markit Digital, we design, develop, and host data rich, full featured, high traffic web and mobile applications for financial institutions, brokerages, and media clients from all over the world. Working in an agile methodology, we collaborate with small focused teams in order to continually drive customer value.
The Build and Deployment Tools Team provides a platform and toolchain that enables teams to provision/configure environments, setup/deploy applications, and collect/view metrics. Our goal is to automate and streamline development and operational activities across the organization.
What You’ll Do
· Develop, support, and improve automated build, configuration, and management systems
· Automate application and service deployments using 3rd party and custom-developed tools
· Integrate virtualization, configuration management, and application deployment systems
· Help automate the configuration of monitoring and metrics systems
· Assist teams with troubleshooting application builds and work needed to enable automation
· Assist teams in aligning application and service development with existing and newly developed deployment tools
· Design and build new processes and tools to enable automation of the installation and maintenance of existing applications and services
· Design and build tools to allow engineering and support teams to troubleshoot issues and isolate problems
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field and experience in an enterprise IT environment
Skills, Experience and Competencies
· A team player, capable of collaborating in a fast-paced environment, as well as capable of working independently with a high level of self-motivation
· Experience using and administering version control systems such Git or SVN
· Knowledge of configuration management systems such as Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
· Experience with virtualization and hypervisors such as VMWare running in a private cloud
· Background working with CI/CD pipelines and toolsets including Jenkins and TeamCity
· Working understanding of SQL
· Experience in Windows and Linux/Unix system administration
Bonus Points For:
· Experience with Windows and/or Linux scripting technologies and toolsets (PowerShell, bash)
· Knowledge of container management and orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes, OpenShift, and Swarm
· Experience with cloud architecture and deploying applications to hybrid and public cloud infrastructure
· Experience working within a high volume, high-availability environment
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disability/Veterans. Please refer to the EEO is the Law Poster & Supplement, Right to Work and Pay Transparency Policy. IHS is a participant in E-Verify (see links below). We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment drug testing.