VP/SVP, National RF Engineering (Greater Denver Area, CO)
DISH is transforming the future of connectivity. Our legacy is innovation and disruption. Our brand is opportunity.
Today, we're building America's first virtualized, standalone 5G broadband network from scratch. Free of the burdens and costs inherent to launching on existing infrastructure, it's truly a blank slate - with the potential to host some of the fastest, most robust technologies ever conceived.
We're at the helm of a communications revolution. Our employees are uniquely positioned to effect change across industries spanning autonomous vehicles, smart communities, health care and agriculture well into the future.
We empower our employees to think and create differently; to build beyond the possibilities of today.
DISH Wireless is looking for a VP/SVP of National Radio Frequency Engineering who will lead the national RF engineering and planning, regulatory services and spectrum coordination teams. This role will be responsible for the RAN network planning and design objectives, guidelines and nominal market plans, working closely with the field RF and deployment teams. This position will play a critical role in planning the next-gen DISH 5G ORAN-based cloud-native network.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the development of the RF planning process and tools for network propagation modeling and coverage prediction, to support both the deployment and field RF teams
- Develop the network RF design criteria, link budgets and traffic analysis, as needed for network design
- Lead regulatory compliance with governmental mandates which rely on the radio environment, namely E-911
- Determine and manage the RAN network performance objectives and RF related KPIs to support the product and services offered on the DISH 5G network
- Work with Core and RAN operations and device engineering teams to find RF solutions, making changes to the link budget as needed to meet the business requirements
- Develop requirements for and manage the RF optimization tools and systems, working with the technology development, engineering and operations teams
- Provide policy and guidelines to field teams as it relates to spectral efficiency, coverage thresholds, optimization techniques, etc
- Develop and assist vendors in implementation of machine learning and self-optimization techniques to maximize spectral efficiency and customer experience
- Develop and manage the spectrum planning process and establish guidelines for frequency planning, clearing and coordination
- Provide training, coaching and mentoring to RF engineers and network planning engineers
Skills, Experience and Requirements
The successful VP/SVP of Radio Frequency will have:
- Master's degree in engineering preferred, bachelor's degree required and at least 15 years of relevant RF network design and planning experience with a network service provider and operational experience in RF optimization providing operations support for site acquisition and construction teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong relationship building skills
- Solid understanding of network planning, design principles and optimization algorithms
- Strong RF and antenna theory and operational experience
- Fully proficient in the set-up, calibration, utilization, and data processing of various wireless design and optimization tools and software solutions
- Working knowledge of at least 2 of the common industry propagation / planning tools (Planet, Atoll, etc.) for model calibration
- Ability to work with propagation tools, run optimization algorithms, develop network plans and interpret results from the tools
- Working knowledge of drive test and crowdsourced customer experience test data post-processing, map generation, frequency planning and interference analysis
- Experience managing teams of 20+ RF engineers, developing macro and small cell nominal and market level RF network designs, including development of operational KPIs and maintenance of RF network planning guidelines
Compensation and Benefits
From versatile health perks to new career opportunities, check out our benefits on our careers website .