We’re looking for an energetic, meticulous, process-oriented UI Designer who
exemplifies excellence balanced with modesty. The UX team has been a key player in
Vertafore’s software development lifecycle for several years, and now the company is
empowering the team to have greater influence. As UI Designer, you will bring your
inquisitive mind, impeccable taste, keen eye, conscientious charisma, and inclusive
mindset to the needs of a rapidly growing Product Development and User
Experience organization. You will lead coordinated efforts to standardize and
modernize the design system that will help bring Vertafore’s user experience to the
Who We Are
At Vertafore, we value diverse perspectives, continual learning, and continuous
improvement. Each day we bring an open mind, a willingness to give and receive
feedback, and a dedication to creating quality user experiences.
Our Product Development teams solve problems with a strong customer focus and
collaborate in an open, inquisitive, and positive manner. As creative technologists, we
see the beauty of humanity in each other and therefore show respect for ourselves
and those around us. This allows us to show up for our team and take risks, knowing
it’s okay to fail.
We regularly engage in coaching, mentoring, agile ceremonies (like stand-ups and
retrospectives), and fun team activities. We define problems based on user needs,
not based on technological capabilities. We endeavor to do things in new ways that
add value to our world.
All of this creates a Product Development environment that is fun, collaborative, and
innovative reflected in our quality delivery, happy customers, and diverse, highly
empowered team with career mobility.
Come join us and be part of the action!
What You’ll Do
The UI Designer will support the Lead UI Designer and UX Manager in establishing
the touchstone for a consistent, modern, and accessible look and feel across
Vertafore products. This person will support efforts to define and attain the following
strategic guideposts for Vertafore’s UX and UI: Simplify, Standardize, Unify, Include.
The successful candidate will
• Collaborate with multiple team members to create smart designs for complex
• Build amicable, trusting relationships with partner teams
• Support and contribute to the actualization of those guideposts through an
iterative, cross-functional, collaborative, and inclusive process
• Support the Lead UI Designer in developing and evolving the visual language,
design system and UI library for Vertafore’s products and platform
• Enhance the incorporation of Vertafore’s brand and voice into the Design
Standards & Guidelines
• Advance the cause of UI best practices: asset creation and maintenance,
developer/engineer consumption of assets, web standards, accessibility, and
inclusivity (standard across products for what devices and browsers Vertafore
• Devise valuable and viable UI components and UX patterns for Vertafore users,
provide solid reasoning for their design decisions, and clearly document their
designs so that they can be well-implemented
• Support the UX Manager in creating a UX playbook of strategy, research and
• Share their visual design and UI knowledge with the UX team and Front-end UI
Developers to help them grow their visual design sensibilities and craft
What we’re looking for in a Lead UI Designer
• You’re a self-starter, a translator, and a team-player who communicates your
ideas clearly, concisely, and persuasively.
• You have a good grasp of the theories, concepts, and methods of usercentered
design and interaction design (controls, states, etc.) which you have
applied in a variety of ways.
• You create UI components, information visualizations, illustrations, and UX
animations with a visual style and language that is crisp, clean, inviting, and
professional yet sometimes playful.
• You have an impeccable sense of what makes visual design work and can
clearly and diplomatically articulate feedback and recommendations during
design critiques and technical reviews.
• You are comfortable working with design systems and/or pattern libraries.
• You have a solid grasp of visual design fundamentals: color, typography,
composition, space, time/motion, information visualization.
• You can create reusable, scalable visual design assets that fit into a greater
design system and are consumable by developers and engineers.
• You have a fundamental knowledge of design standards and keep abreast of
ever-evolving web and mobile best practices including accessibility (WCAG,
WAI-ARIA), responsive design, mobile first, content first, graceful degradation,
progressive enhancement, etc.
Who You Are
• You have 1 – 3 years of experience doing visual and UI design, ideally in a
mix of in-house and agency settings.
• You have a portfolio of compelling portfolio of visual and UI design work
spanning web and mobile applications—including responsive web
• You demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, including
presentation skills and an ability to persuasively articulate design rationale.
• You are adaptable and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Your working style demonstrates respect, initiative, ownership, transparency,
• You can easily move between considering the forest and paying attention to
• You balance a passion for craft with on-time, on-target delivery.
• You know how to adapt design approaches for the context of each project
with minimal guidance.
• You are proficient in Sketch, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator,
InDesign), and InVision.
• You have a fundamental *working* knowledge of front-end markup and
frameworks including HTML5, CSS3, and Bootstrap.
Angular and ReactJS.
• You are familiar with tools like Axure RP, Framer (and CoffeeScript), Zeplin,
• You have a knack for learning new tools.
• You have a bachelor’s degree in design, HCI, social science, or a related field.
This position will be based in Vertafore’s downtown Denver office. Local candidates
within reasonable commuting distance preferred.
Vertafore is an EOE employer and strongly supports equal employment opportunity
for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy,
national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental
disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other
characteristic protected by state or federal law equal employment. Minority
candidates encouraged to apply.
Hiring team will not respond to inquiries from third-party recruiting agencies.