Solution Engineer at Zayo
Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
This position will play a key role in the growth and expansion of product offerings and services at Zayo. The Solution Engineer is primarily responsible for providing coaching and development to Account Executives, and providing technical support throughout the sales process. This includes designing and implementing complex data network solutions for Carrier and Enterprise customers.
This individual will be responsible for assisting in the preparation and delivery of sales presentations, acting as a subject matter expert in all product/service offerings, and driving the sales cycle to closure. Key areas of focus will include: participating in sales appointments, assisting in the preparation of Requests for Proposals, providing guidance and counsel throughout the sales process, and ensuring complete and accurate completion of design documentation and contract paperwork in support of complex agreements. Ongoing consultation with sales and engineering teams after sales are closed will be critical to ensuring ongoing satisfaction with Zayo and its products.
- Drive sales by providing technical sales support.
- Provide coaching to the Account Executives in the sale of Zayo products and services to Carrier & Enterprise customers as well as government, education and medical institution customers.
- Through coaching and technical sales, drive sale closure to shorten sales cycle and ensure sales goals and objectives are achieved.
- As part of sales process, play key role in the preparation of Requests for Proposals, designing cost-effective solutions and solving prospect configuration challenges.
- Participate in the creation and delivery of high-level face-to-face sales presentations that demonstrate technical knowledge of the latest Zayo products and services.
- Analyze customer requirements to understand how Zayo products and services can be applied to meet their needs and solve their problems.
- Provide customers with solutions that meet their business applications, and ensure protected circuit design, disaster recovery applications, appropriate bandwidth for future growth, etc.
- Translate complex technical requirements into information that customers can understand and respond to.
- Keep abreast of competitive landscape and emerging technologies in order to best position Zayo in the marketplace.
- Respond to requests for bids and proposals by providing fully-documented technical solutions, with diagrams, that clearly outline all technical components of the solution.
Planning and Logistics
- On behalf of Account Executives, ensure completion of all appropriate paperwork, processes and systems in support of customer network design and contract completion.
- Set appropriate expectations for timeline and project completion.
- Provide regular project updates to internal customers (sales, engineering, technical operations).
- Adhere to all company standards and overall business professionalism.
- Demonstrate regular, consistent, and punctual attendance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related field.
- Minimum five years’ experience in technical sales engineering / support role(s) within the telecommunications industry (ideally ISP, CLEC, ILEC, VAR, or MSO)
- Experience developing and/or delivering technical training programs.
- Expert-level technical skills with LAN and WAN technologies required.
- Ability to create technical designs and diagrams of customer solutions.
- Strong technical presentation skills (development and delivery).
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to explain technical concepts to laypersons in simple, understandable terms.
- Consistent focus on results and goal achievement.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Ability to handle ambiguity, and anticipate and quickly react to changes in a fast-paced environment.
- Preferred Additional Experience:
- Network design
- MAN technologies and designs (including DS-x, OC-x, WDM, and Ethernet)
- Internet technologies, functionality, and services
- Business continuity / disaster recovery concepts
- Networking protocols (emphasis on Layers 1, 2, and 3)
- Familiarity with CPE (voice and data)
- Knowledge of a variety of transport and Ethernet equipment vendors and models
- Data networking technologies, functionality, and services (LAN, MAN, WAN, VPN)
- High-level understanding of Fiber Optic network design and implementation
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave