Sales Training Manager
The Stack Overflow Sales Organization Founding Principles:
- To be the absolute best company to do business with - client facing
- To be the best place to work at in Sales - internal
Clearly we are serious about the treatment of our customers and our sales team. The two founding principles are connected - we cannot have one without the other. The formula starts within and without real investment, attention and energy directed at supporting and developing the sales team, this is just lip service. The better equipped, trained and engaged the team is, the better the client experience.
While we have built a strong training curriculum and culture of learning, we are now ready to hire a Sales Training Manager (STM) to build upon the existing infrastructure. The STM is an incredibly important role and this individual will embody the spirit, energy and values of the sales organization and incorporate them into building a world class training curriculum - “Stack Overflow Sales University.” The STM’s ultimate goal is to create a scalable, efficient and effective training program that produces empowered, knowledgeable, and results-producing reps who consistently deliver on their goals.
The STM will be responsible for the day to day education of every member of the sales team (newest hire to the most senior sales director) from development to execution to follow-up. The curriculum will increase the effectiveness of each team member in their respective roles. With a sales organization of over 100 salespeople, the STM will utilize additional training support through the training of other trainers (Managers/Directors/Sales-Ops/Team Leads).
The development and implementation of long-term strategic training is critical and requires a significant interaction and collaboration with Sales Management, Sales-Ops and Marketing.
In order to maintain alignment between the onboarding, ramp, and continued effectiveness of the delivered training, this position will report to the VP of Sales. The Sales Training Manager will be expected to travel periodically. Over time, this position may have direct reports.
What you'll do:
- Own the entire sales training curriculum – create, manage and execute a world class sales training program including, but not limited to building upon our existing program, materials and philosophies. (“Stack Sales University”)
- Own the day to day development of each team member.
- Host and run all new hire training.
- Conduct/Deliver training sessions at all levels from 1-on-1’s to group sessions for over 100 sales people.
- Train and monitor the sales trainers. While it is not expected for the Sales Training Manager to conduct all training, the success of the training is ultimately their responsibility, thus training the trainers is critical.
- Drive retention and application of training through product-based tests, knowledge-check quizzes, incentive-based learning, e-learning, certification programs, etc…
- Collaborate with other Sales Directors/Managers, Team Leads, Sales-Ops, Sales Support and Marketing to identify skill gaps and develop training and coaching opportunities appropriately.
- Foster open and effective communication between Sales, Sales-Ops, Sales Support, Marketing, Product and Consulting.
- Utilize sales tools and metrics to influence behavior and drive efficiencies.
What you'll need to have:
- 8+ years of successful sales or sales management experience
- 3+ years in a sales training capacity either inside or outside sales
- Share Stack Overflow’s sales philosophy/value system
- Smart and Get Things Done
- perience with and have trained a variety of sales models
- Self identify as a teacher. You love teaching, training and coaching. You are excited about the potential to make our brilliant people even more brilliant and effective
- Experience creating a teaching curriculum oriented toward sales professionals that has led to proven results (product reviews, sales pitches, objection navigation, consultative sales approaches, deadlines, follow up)
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills which include written, verbal and stand-and-deliver presentation skills with the ability to assimilate complex concepts and clearly articulate business value to a diverse audience
- Must be well-versed in sales training and coaching best practices
- Must bring a sense of urgency and entrepreneurial work ethic to drive business outcomes
- Ability to adapt to the fast-paced environment of a start-up and a continuously evolving product
- Demonstrates passion and energy toward both sales and training
- Ability to roll with the punches and a rapid-development approach to training
- Offer a customer service attitude coupled with a great sense of humor
- Comfortable interacting with or selling to a broad range of clients from start-ups to enterprise contacts to resellers to HR professionals to C-level executives
- Solid understanding of how technology works from a conceptual standpoint and can effectively and succinctly teach technical information to a non-technical audience
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive base salary + uncapped commission
- 20 days paid vacation
- Flexible hours
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Great office w/ espresso bar, games, and free daily lunches
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Transportation reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.