Sales Director (Direct Sales)
Gusto is seeking a Direct Sales Leader in our Denver office, dedicated to driving Gusto's growth in the SMB space through increasing the number of customers using the full Gusto suite - HR, payroll, and benefits. He/she will be responsible for net new revenue from our larger “Full Gusto” customers, as well as up selling our existing payroll customers to move their benefits to Gusto. The Direct Sales Leader will also help hire, train, and coach our HR, Payroll, and Benefits Advisors to be a world-class consultative acquisition team. The pace of Gusto sales is fast and the landscape we’re playing in ever-changing. We’re looking for someone who is motivated by that and brings a good sense of humor to a team that likes to work hard and have fun while we’re doing it.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead a sales team of 8-10 individuals with a focus on development and professional growth
- Help refine and further develop our strategy: 10x revenue from our Direct Sales team in a cost-effective way
- Grow net new business within Direct Sales
- Build a world-class consultative sales team: Invest in and develop the existing sales team while simultaneously attracting top sales talent to Gusto
- Track, measure and report-out on sales effectiveness against targets and adjust programs and strategies as necessary
- Scale with rigor: Continuously increase the effectiveness of our team, recognizing opportunities for creating new systems, structures, and processes
- Work cross-functionally: Flow easily across multiple teams to ensure internal messaging alignment, operational coordination and evangelization of sales strategy; collaborate with marketing to ensure the execution of programs and events to drive leads, pipeline, and deal progression
- Ensure executive alignment and relationship building between Gusto and partner executive teams
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of sales management experience: Extensive experience developing sales teams at a high-growth technology company, ideally in the HR, payroll, benefits, or fin tech space
- A strategic mindset: Ability to think strategically, crisply synthesizing market research and competitive intelligence and turning that into a winning go-to-market strategy
- A people leader that team members will walk through walls for: Proven ability to coach, attract, and retain amazing sales talent
- An amazing communicator: Excellent communicator internally and externally
- A competitive spirit who likes to win: Track record of consistently exceeding established revenue goals
- Based in Denver, but willing to travel to San Francisco with some frequency
- A lover of change: Experience managing change and ambiguity, taking ownership and creating structure
- A fan of speed: Ability to successfully operate in a fast paced dynamic environment experiencing growth and expansion
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.