We are an insurtech company where smart people can see the impact of their work as we tackle meaningful problems together. We think it’s fun to disrupt an industry that has been slow to change. But we aren’t shaking things up for the sake of change, we’re here to solve big problems using technology and an innovative approach to improve how small business owners access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs, so at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us. We hire passionate people who like to work hard, yet we also know that life exists outside the office. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
How You’ll Do It
Working at Pie Insurance as a Renewal Underwriter requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time.
As we scale our fast-growing business, our team is evolving our renewal underwriting guidelines and processes, finding and achieving new efficiencies every day. This evolution demands flexibility in our thinking and constant, pragmatic refinement in how we interact with our customers and evaluate their businesses. To be successful in this role, we balance a service orientation with a closing mentality, evaluating the risk of our customers’ businesses while building a robust portfolio.
Our Underwriters are on the front lines, interacting with our customers all day, every day. Every underwriting call, email, and message has a profound impact on our business and our reputation. The average day in the life of a Pie Underwriter - today - involves a high volume of daily transactions ranging from making underwriting decisions to issuing a certificate of insurance. We expect your role will evolve quickly as Pie grows.
Whether It's Right For You
You will be joining our team based in our Denver office. Pie is a start-up and as such, all hands and minds are needed. That means we need our Renewals Underwriters to be production-focused, executing on renewal opportunities with a sales orientation while maintaining a healthy underwriting portfolio.
This role requires at least two (2) years of prior workers’ compensation experience. Prior experience as a renewal underwriter is preferred.
The Day to Day
- Review individual risks within renewal processes to determine actions of pricing and coverage terms in conjunction with Pie's guidelines.
- Check for accuracy of the information, verify premiums, proofread policies, and handle corrections on policies throughout the policy term.
- Quickly and effectively decision each request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines, known risk exposures, and loss frequency and severity.
- Achieve profitable growth through appropriate risk evaluation and book management while building and maintaining outstanding customer relationships.
- Provides technical assistance to Sales Team and Customer Success Team regarding policy and endorsement provisions and underwriting acceptability for designated insurance coverage.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions.
- Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverage, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
The Right Stuff
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of workers’ compensation class codes.
- A sales mindset to maintain retention simultaneously discerning healthy risk characteristics within your assigned book of business.
- Ability to balance the outstanding execution of processes while handling a high volume of transactions.
- Experience underwriting insurance for small businesses, our primary audience, is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Competitive Salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous vacation time
- 7 days of paid sick leave
- Commute Allowance
- 401k Match
- Modern office space with onsite gym
- Monthly Happy Hours
- Generous Parental Leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie! That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience that you bring, along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $58,000 - $82,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding