Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding
Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Working at Pie Insurance as a Renewal Underwriting Associate requires adapting your skills and experience to a cutting edge, data-driven approach to risk management. Our data-centric approach to underwriting is unparalleled, and we are disrupting the small business insurance market, one customer at a time.
Our Renewal Underwriting Associates are on the front lines, interacting with our Underwriters and Partners all day, every day. The Renewal Underwriting Associate is responsible for reviewing and analyzing existing policies for renewal, including existing term file corrections and changes. This role plays a part in building the Underwriting team’s robust portfolio by underwriting second and third-year renewals and smaller accounts.
This role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States* (*territories excluded), and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
How You'll Do It:
- Compare renewal and expiring pricing – adjusting to within current guidelines as needed, assisting with various servicing functions and projects.
- Processing of midterm changes on policies, including entity changes, endorsements, experience modification endorsements, rate testing, and other duties as assigned.
- Gather, consolidate, and input information from 3rd party services and partners.
- Conduct risk and exposure research around the types of activities employees are working on (renewal policy exposures).
- Send out renewal quotes, requests for additional documents and information, and assist in communication between Underwriters and Partners.
- Leverage workers’ compensation underwriting expertise to assess risks to underwrite renewal coverage.
- Maintain strong industry knowledge on WC underwriting expertise and changes in market/account positions.
- Develop and maintain full knowledge of all forms, coverages, ratings, and manuals for the specific line being underwritten.
- Quickly and effectively decision each renewal request through the use of Pie’s underwriting guidelines and known risk exposures and loss frequency and severity.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- A minimum of one year of experience with commercial lines required, workers’ compensation or other P&C lines preferred
- Ability to produce quality work while managing a high-volume workload
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to context switch when working in a multi-state book of business
- Demonstrated ability to send accurate and timely information to internal teams and external partners which directly enhances and elevates the customer experience
- Experience verifying businesses using a variety of web-based research tools, like OSHA and SAFER, is required
- Knowledge of web-based and cloud platforms is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, required
- Experience communicating in internal chat platforms, like Slack or Teams, preferred
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes in work processes and systems
- Desire to improve how insurance operates in a technology driven environment
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills and experience along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges. We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $50,000 - $70,000
Each year Pie reviews company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.