We’re looking for a Business Development Representative to join our rapidly growing team!
We’re Verblio: a unique content writing startup based in Denver, CO. Content is a core foundation of modern marketing. But it’s really hard to create quality content, particularly at scale. It requires time, resources, and talent, and many companies simply can’t reasonably or cost-effectively staff in-house.
That’s where we come in. By combining a marketplace business model with the flexibility and deep vertical expertise of SaaS, Verblio enables writers to create 70,000+ pieces of unique content per year for our customers. With a network of over 3,000 professional writers, Verblio provides the platform for modern digital agencies, businesses, enterprises, and publishers to create unique content creation solutions.
To do all of this, we’ve created a high-performing SaaS startup led by a 15-year marketplace industry veteran and staffed by a team of energetic, eclectic startup junkies, writing enthusiasts, and random liberal arts degree collectors.
We’ve been on a full-tilt growth spurt for several years and have grandiose plans for world domination in the near future...and that’s where you come in! We are looking for the right Business Development Representative to join our team and help us fuel this rocket.
About the role:
Does evangelizing a solution that’s in demand and helps your customers grow their businesses energize you? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being “Meh, I’ll just see what happens” and 10 being “Step aside, please. I’m about to get after it,” are you a 13? Have you decided big companies are just not your thing and you can’t get enough of the startup / growth company life?
If so, read on, we’ve got something exciting.
NOTE: this job description might be different than others you’ve read. Our goal is to paint a picture of where we are, the opportunities we have, and what we need. So, give it a read. If you think “damn, that sounds absolutely energizing!” we want to talk to you. If you think “I’m pretty lost” or “these people are insane,” this probably isn’t the right role for you.
Here’s the situation …
Verblio’s business is growing quickly. We’re bootstrapped, have grown primarily through our inbound marketing efforts, and have recently added outbound sales to the mix with promising early results (even in the year 2020 and everything it brings).
Our core offering is content creation for digital marketing. Our network of freelance writers has the breadth of background to create content for astoundingly niche businesses. Our software & services are designed to fulfill the needs of digital marketing agencies who need that content at scale.
Here’s what we need …
BUT to take things to the next level (or add more boosters to the rocket if you were into that analogy) we need some serious top of funnel traction, and a BDR to make that happen.
As Business Development Representative, you’ll be responsible for:
- Finding and starting conversations with the right prospects at marketing agencies, publishers and enterprises to introduce Verblio and create new, qualified sales opportunities.
- Smoothly transitioning all those new opportunities you’ll find to your colleagues on the revenue team so they can nurture and close them.
- Working with new partners to ensure they’re taking full advantage of our platform, and cultivating relationships that drive referrals at the same time.
- Evangelizing The why internally and externally. Always.
Probably some specifics would be helpful.
Create new sales opportunities. Our product team has built amazing solutions to our prospects’ problems, and marketing has dialed-in the messaging and collateral we need to tell them about it. You’ll knock on doors (OK, not literally) to share all of this and find our next happy clients.
Help us continue to be the friendliest content creation platform out there. Hunting for new business can sometimes feel transactional, and deservedly gets a bad rap as a result. This is not that type of selling. As the face of our brand to new prospects, you’ll reach out as one part Verblio evangelist and two parts altruist so we continue to build strong client partnerships from the start.
Be our eyes and ears in the marketplace. Even though we’ve been at this a while (over 10 years, in fact), we’re always learning. And since you’ll be having as many conversations with prospective clients as anyone, we’ll look to you for breaking news on new trends and developments (read: opportunities) to help keep our marketing and product teams out in front.
Do all of this in a bootstrapped startup environment. The three things above are hard. But, because we like challenges, it’s worth reiterating that we’re a bootstrapped startup and there are resource constraints that come along with that. (But also a huge degree of freedom in how you get it done.)
Whew! If you’re reading this and still feeling psyched, definitely keep reading.
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- Up to 3 years of new business development experience.
- An intrinsic drive to break new ground and make things happen.
- A solid understanding and interest in content marketing and SEO. Bonus points for understanding the nuances of how marketing agencies operate and grow, especially through content.
- A desire to do all of this (and it’s a lot) in a startup environment where budgets aren’t unlimited, systems can be complex & imperfect, and scrappiness is required.
What makes Verblio a great place to work?
- We work hard, have fun, learn a lot, and are proud of our transparent, collaborative culture.
- We believe in doing good, and that creating great opportunities for home-based writers is just as important as helping our clients find their next customer.
- We made the Inc 5000 list for the second time and won our sixth Mercury 100 award as one of the fastest-growing companies in the Boulder Valley.
- We offer equity, health, dental & vision insurance, and a generous vacation policy.
- This position pays $45,000 - $55,000/year, commensurate with experience, plus monthly performance-based commissions..
Excited about this opportunity? If so, click here to apply with your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile link, and your favorite 1-2 sentences that show you went deep into this job description and it speaks to you.