Associate Director, Account Management- Financial Markets- Base Chemical Insights at Markit Digital
Associate Director, Account Management-Financial Markets, US/Canada - Base Chemical Insights
NOTE: This position is currently being recruited by IHS Markit for its Base Chemicals Insights business line. Due to the pending merger of IHS Markit with S&P Global, IHS Markit will be divesting its Base Chemicals Insights business sometime in Q2 2022 at which point the Base Chemicals Insights business line will operate under its new owner. NewsCorp is expedited to be the new owner pending approvals. This position is for immediate hire and will be filled with the understanding that the position and the individual will move with the Base Chemical Insights business line to the new company along with the existing Base Chemical Insights sales structure including the hiring manager.
The primary market for Associate Director, Account Management-Financial Markets, US/Canada - Base Chemical Insights will be clients in the financial space such as companies involved with sell side equity research of the chemical, plastics and associated industries. As such, it will be critical that the Account Manager be physically near the New York financial markets and be prepared to visit those clients and prospects on a regular basis. While the primary customer base will be in New York there will possibly be some travel to other financial market centers in the US and possibly Canada. Candidates should have a background in solution selling of data and analytics to the financial markets. Candidate location should be the New York City Area.
The Account Manager's main responsibility is maximizing profitable company sales revenue growth within the assigned accounts focused on identifying, qualifying, negotiating, and closing new business to exceed sales targets. Ideal candidates are sales professionals having demonstrated success calling on senior executives in the Base Chemicals Industries and related market segments, offering a unique value proposition, delivering solutions and selling solutions specific to customer needs, whether identified by the potential client or through the discovery process executed by the Account Executive.
Candidates must have strong closing skills, be extremely persistent, be willing to prospect, work well without supervision, be highly money motivated, be effective at building relationships, have keen listening skills, be adept at asking probing questions, be assertive but not aggressive, with outstanding phone and interpersonal skills. Working knowledge of business economics and comfort discussing value propositions with customers is required.
The ideal candidate must possess strong business to business direct sales background and a proven track record of exceeding sales quotas. The candidate for this role must have excellent English communication skills (written and verbal). This position will carry quota for renewals and new business and possibly some small renewal business.
Compensation for this position will be salary plus commission.
The Account Manager, working within the Base Chemical Insights team for the Americas, will execute against sales goals, including accurate forecasting and revenue attainment. This generally includes qualifying and disqualifying new business opportunities, identifying customer needs/challenges, delivering executive Base Chemicals Insights point of view dialogue, delivering solution presentations to new customers, developing proposals, negotiating contracts, closing business in a timely manner, and fully comprehending the unique IHS Markit value proposition.
The Account Manager will own a specific set of named accounts within the Base Chemical Insights US and Canada customer base and will have responsibility for developing new business both within the named accounts as well as at new accounts to Base Chemical Insights.
The Account Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Accountability for driving revenue growth across Base Chemical Insights business to meet or exceed expectations, including identification of revenue drivers and metrics focused on market expansion and penetration.
- Monitoring performance-to-plan throughout the fiscal year and adjusting direction, focus and sales initiatives as needed to effectively penetrate the market.
- Creating and managing their sales pipeline of new business opportunities in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform within the assigned territory, generating leads from face-to-face meetings and discovery calls with customers as well as following inbound leads from marketing, the Base Chemical Insight team, industry events and other sources.
- Based on opportunities in the sales pipeline in CRM, provide monthly forecasts within a 95% accuracy rate to create visibility with all market owners on revenue trends and actions to drive revenues to plan.
- Understanding the product sales cycle and challenges, including the strategies of competitors, and leveraging this knowledge to hone sales strategies.
- Build a strong network & relationships with the key decision makers within the customers' organizations to expand sales of Base Chemical Insights products, services and consulting engagements.
- Develop and execute account plans & strategies for key customers in conjunction with sales & business leadership.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of Base Chemicals and related industries, including industry trends, business processes, financial measurements, performance indicators and key competitors.
- Working with Product and Sales Management to ensure proper positioning of complex solutions.
- Competency in delivering price for value relative to the appropriate product solution.
- Quickly learn basics about the Base Chemical Insights offering portfolio and strive to become expert level within 12-18 months.
Education & Experience
- 4 year degree. Science or related technical field a plus but not necessary. Sales experience in or to the Petroleum, Refining or Chemical industry preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years sales experience, with at least 8 years of experience in selling complex enterprise solutions to customers in the United States.
- Demonstrated success in closing large and complex sales through regional Base Chemicals industry knowledge, negotiation and relationship building skills.
- Proven ability to uncover needs and the buying process at private and public multi-national companies.
- Skilled in consultative and value selling methodology, with a deep understanding of the client's needs, challenges and goals.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategies for revenue growth that capitalize on the unique nature of specific environments, leveraging partner and other relationships creatively without being tied to a specific approach. Appropriately adapts and leverages products, services and operations to effectively compete in competitive markets.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications required (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in a Customer Resource Management platform required. Sales Force preferred.
- Must be flexible with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all colleagues.
- Some overnight travel required to other US financial markets.
- Travel to Canada likely depending on account assignments so passport necessary
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, in order to comply with applicable federal, state, and local vaccine mandates (including those in place for US federal contractors), US employees may be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated, unless they have been approved for an accommodation due to a medical reason, a sincerely held religious belief or another legally protected reason. The company also participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the US.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.